Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SAND and scratching your PWC

Guys...

I'm looking to buy a new ski, and I want to keep it looking nice, especially the inside and outside hull where your feet go. Sand always gets stuck in these and even the littlest bit can scratch up your investment. So I was thinking, 3M makes this invisible bra for your car, could this film be used on the ski to protect the paint?

Has anyone done this, or is there a specific product? I want to keep my new one looking fantastic.

Thanks

+1
    My feeling is...
    A PWC is not an "investment," so get out on the water and have fun.
    After almost 300 hours (each) ours are in excellent shape, but if I didn't want any scratches on them I would leave them in the garage.

I do have the 3M bra on my BMW however, and now you have me wondering if it would solve the delamination issues on the RXP's...

+1
    in the overtons catalog they have a keel guard that you put on your ski and allows you to beach with supposedly no damage

I just like to wax the hell out of mine!! I think that probably helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    My feeling is...
    A PWC is not an "investment," so get out on the water and have fun.
    After almost 300 hours (each) ours are in excellent shape, but if I didn't want any scratches on them I would leave them in the garage.

I do have the 3M bra on my BMW however, and now you have me wondering if it would solve the delamination issues on the RXP's...
    MY GOD!!! I can't believe it!!! I've finaly agreed with Yo on something!

Must be the Summer Wind coming up the Hudson.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner View Post
    MY GOD!!! I can't believe it!!! I've finaly agreed with Yo on something!

I didn't realize it would be a religious experience for you...

An "investment" in fun. Let's face it, unless it's a classic/or collector's vehicle, these machines will NOT increase in value like the investment in your 401k...i plan to hold onto my ski for a while, i'm buying it to use; not keep it in a bubble. Just looking to prevent some damage before it happens.......

+1
    Mack;

In my experience the real "damage risk" on PWC's comes not
    so much from sand, but from IMPACTS, usually in several areas...

1. DOCKING THE SKI
    Without proper care they can easily get crunched on the pilings and smashed from wakes while tied to a dock, also coming in too fast is VERY common—NO BRAKES—WHAM!!!

2. TRAILERING THE SKI
    Coming in too fast is a common problem, MANY boats and PWC get banged up bow areas from lack of patience and practice in trailering; CRUNCH!

3. HITTING ANOTHER BOAT
    Or another boat hitting you, it's easy to do, and watch out for marinas... fishing boats, weekend warriors, pontoons, etc. are all notorious for getting right up next to your ski—and watch what that lifted outboard prop can do to your gel coat, OUCH!

4. INJESTING or STRIKING SUBMERGED OBJECTS
    Not all damage is on the top side... shallow water plus logs, oyster bars, cement blocks, debris, ropes and rocks; many of these can impact your hull or get SUCKED UP into your grate and cause serious damages in a matter of seconds, read your manual.

5. LOANING THE SKI
    It never fails; how many times have we seen the posts on this forum; "MY BUDDY CRASHED MY @#&% SKI," or MY BUDDY RAN IT WITHOUT OIL, or MY BUDDY SUCKED UP A SKI ROPE... well, why did you LOAN IT TO THEM? I would venture to say that MOST accidents happen like this, you have been warned—be VERY cautious about loaning out your PWC and make sure you take time to instruct them on slow maneuvering before they leave the ramp area, because eventually they will be heading back to the dock and that takes us back to number 1 above.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Mack;
    5. LOANING THE SKI
    It never fails; how many times have we seen the posts on this forum; "MY BUDDY CRASHED MY @#&% SKI," or MY BUDDY RAN IT WITHOUT OIL, or MY BUDDY SUCKED UP A SKI ROPE... well, why did you LOAN IT TO THEM? I would venture to say that MOST accidents happen like this, you have been warned—be VERY cautious about loaning out your PWC and make sure you take time to instruct them on slow maneuvering before they leave the ramp area, because eventually they will be heading back to the dock and that takes us back to number 1 above.
    Oh yes weve had this happen many times. You have a nice picnic and someone always ends up on shore or in the bushes. Never fails. Not as easy as it looks to some people

Quote Originally Posted by Daveski View Post
    I just like to wax the hell out of mine!! I think that probably helps a bit.

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information