This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

At wits end with SBT engine alignment tool

The darn thing doesn't seem to fit in the pto of a 787/97 gtx..am I missing something obvious?..doesn't fit into the prop splines, so I make an assumption there is something Im not in the know on. Never had a problem eyeballing, but I wanted to do the job the "right" way now that biz is picking up.

anybody have a word for me before I dive headfirst into the parts washer?

The alignment tool doesn't have an adapter for the pto or splines. After you bolt it from the pump plate to and slide the shaft through, it is suppose to just slide into the pto without hitting anything. You have to take the black boot off the pto. I did this on 2 GTX (96 and 97) and it works great. Both motors were factory installed and way out of alignment. Had to loosen the mounts to the hull and move them to get the motor to align propperly.

+1

problem is...

it won't fit into a PTO with the PTO off the ski!

+1

well the tool likes like it's "defective"

Somehow the end of it mics to .5mm larger then the main shaft that is supposed to slide into the pto, so it;'s in sort of a mushroomed shape, pretty sure I'll have to get another one, as this one wasn't machined correctly. If SBT balks, I'll just cut 6mm off the end of it and that will be that.

Are you saying the adapter is bigger that the shaft? On that motor you don't use ANY adapter. Just the shaft slides on the pto. Fits perfect on 2 787 GTX's for me. My shaft is trued to .003 and tapers down at the end where it goes into the pto.

+1

the shaft was mismanufactured

SBT is swapping it out, the shaft started out at 18mm but flared to 18.5mm at the end that goes into the pto, so a clear mis-manufacture of the shaft.

I get a new one and a return airbill, but I've lost 7 days delivering a ski, put that on top of the couple of hours spent with a possible crank thread issue (the magneto nut didn't want to thread on cleanly) and some valuable lessons learned in the world of assumptions. I didn't want to eyeball this job at all, not with over 2k riding on the invoice.

Anyhow, I'll be ready for the rest of the driveline work I have lined up next week.

+1

New tool arrived..

all is well..it's so obvious the first tool was from a ill fated return, this one showed up in brand new box and the shaft was like a work of art. clean all the way to the tip, which fit nicely in a brand new PTO I received in another shipment today, so tomorrow it's back to engine alignment 101 and getting the backlog out of the shop. Looks like the first tool took a 60mph trip to the back of a fedex cargo container and wacked something hard, the tip was really flared out on it for even soft iron.

Hats off to SBT for making good on thier warranty, they made zippo on my deal having to pay shipping in both direction on the large bit. Called monday, shipped monday arrived today..a full day early. I had expected it to arrive on monday afternoon according to fedex

of course I would have liked getting a good true shaft tool first time around, but of course stuff like this happens. I'm too old and salty to start throwing major fits about this little stuff, little fits work fine enough for me.

Thread Information