97 GSX full throttle porblem

I have a 97 GSX, at full throttle ill have moments of full power then the engine will bog down and then rev up. this happens in very short bursts. any explanations, is it something i can fix or dealer?

thanks

first post ... nice site!!

Do you have the original grey fuel lines in your ski? If so change them out and check the internal carb filters as then tend to get clogged with the residue from the grey lines. I have the same ski and this helped me out. Also how many hours are on your ski? It might be time for a carb rebuild.

Tell them the whole story or you wont get the info you want. "Sea-doo.net" was no help

I have the exact same problem. While I agree new fuel lines and filters are a good idea, I am quite confident this is not a fuel problem - at least on my GSX. It will run fine (with full power) for a period of time (30 minutes to an hour) before the problem sets in. Once the problem starts it is so periodic in nature that it almost certainly has to be an electrical issue. I read in another thread that this might be due to a bad rectifier. I disconnected the red and black wire from the rectifier module to run off of just the battery after it started acting up but this did not seem to have any effect. Any other thoughts?

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx445 View Post
    I have the exact same problem. While I agree new fuel lines and filters are a good idea, I am quite confident this is not a fuel problem - at least on my GSX. It will run fine (with full power) for a period of time (30 minutes to an hour) before the problem sets in. Once the problem starts it is so periodic in nature that it almost certainly has to be an electrical issue. I read in another thread that this might be due to a bad rectifier. I disconnected the red and black wire from the rectifier module to run off of just the battery after it started acting up but this did not seem to have any effect. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
    Sagging rpm at WOT is a bad sign. It is fuel related. I have had coil failures and electronic module failures and seen MPEM failures and though some were intermitant for a time, they were all go/no-go in nature. That is, when they stopped working, the show was over. Never have I seen one sag Rs at WOT which is a well known and common sign of a lean engine.

That said, you do not have to believe us.

We could be wrong, of course. But then, if we are wrong and you are right, the boat will likely suddenly not run one day and you will be able to pick around and find out what electrical part failed.

If we are right, then when it does finally get a little too hot it will sieze a piston. Even if it is mild you will be done because once it siezes it will continue to sieze, and be easier to sieze until one day something comes apart.

With that in mind, would you not agree that it would be wise to make absolutely sure that the fuel system was in top condition and then see if it still does it?

Krawler not trying to scare you off just want you to tell the whole story give them a feel for the problem. RPM throttle positions things you have done your experience level. You are sure welcome here and I am in no way a moderator in fact I am in some ways a PEST. These guys collectively have an incredible amount of Knowledge and experiance.

Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx445 View Post

Thanks
    First let me clarify - this was actually my post. I initially hijacked my son’s username to make what I thought would be a simple post on this subject. Since then I thought it would be best to be upfront and establish my own username/account.

With that out of the way, let me start by saying I absolutely respect and appreciate the experience of those sharing technical information and experience on this forum. That’s why I’m here.

New fuel lines and cleaning carb filters is a great idea and something I will do. It makes perfect sense given there is a history of the lines degrading over time. Certainly it is not worth the risk of running an engine lean and hot.

Anyone care to offer specific recommendations of high quality fuel line to use?

Now back to my performance issue. I should perhaps clarify exactly what is going on with my GSX. Perhaps I should not have jumped in on this particular thread since it is not a 100% match to my symptoms but it seemed close enough. In my case the engine is not sagging rpm or bogging. It is abruptly cutting out – like someone is flipping a switch. Behaves like someone pulling one of the two plug wires. And when it comes back on, it does so just as abruptly with the engine pulling very strongly like nothing is wrong. Furthermore, it does this not only at WOT but at half throttle as well where the amount of fuel flow required would be much less. On at least one occasion, it developed a very repeatable and specific pattern of something like 6 seconds off and 2 seconds on – it repeated this for 30 or 40 cycles – until we made it back to the boat ramp.

TIA

Thread Information