Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Premix / Carb setting question

01 GP800R fairly newly rebuilt carbs, just converted to Premix, everything else engine wise is stock.

Running 32:1 ratio,
    Idles fine, hit throttle and bwaaaauu.. (bogging) if I blip the throttle a few times and get the throttle up above say 5k it will run great.
    The carbs are set to the stock Lows 1 1/4 turn out and highs are set to stock setting as well.

I have read where most people run their lows close to this setting on their carbs, Anyone run this ratio have any input with the low screws?

I know that at 3 full turns the carbs are set to their richest setting. I did not take the lows past 1 1/2 turns for fear of going to rich.

Sounds like the lows may be a little rich yet. Does it still have the acclerator pump?

Did you have it out this weekend? You should give ma and mad pirahna a call!

Hey gke, I was giving it a water test over at Lake Asbury before I went to the creek to ride.. nothing like having the ski break when you are 10 miles up stream.....

Yes the accel pump is still installed. Would it be safe to assume I could probably go in on the low speed to about 1/2 turn out?

found the issue. I could not get it to run right so I decided to pull the carbs again and take a look at them. Found that when they were built they had a different spring (gold) and I have always had a silver spring, pulled the springs from my old set of carbs, and all is good now.

+1
    I was just about to say you had a popoff pressure problem - glad you found it.

ok this problem seems to be back, I just want to confirm that maybe that I am running a little rich.
    The ski will start up, and idle (although I have the idle set pretty high), I hit the throttle and it just falls on it's face and will stall if I stay into the throttle,
    If I feather into the throttle or above idle tooling around and get into the ski does ok. The ski also seems to may be a little sluggish on the hole shot, although I had just gotten of riding my GSX ltd 951 which is like a freakin rocket.

Thanks for the help!

that sounds like a lean hesitation... have you check the fuel trap inside the tank?

two things i plan on checking are the accel pump, and now the fuel flap.

I may have found the issue, pulled the carbs, looked closer at the accel pump and it appears that the hose fitting that would feed the pump fuel was not tight enough and may have been sucking air into the accel pump. There looks like there may have been a little bit of fuel leakage, but I did not run it enough before I had it apart to get any into the hull if it was leaking.
    When I put these carbs back together, I used a peice of clear fuel line that turns out to have been too big and it kinked against the fitting causing a small gap...

So the question now is... and I am looking for maybe a little confirmation on this.. That would be a big cause of the bog to kill the ski when throttle is applied yes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information