+1

whats best west systems to use on filling my pump shoes..105 epoxy or Gflex?...

I removed my plug kits because the corrosion had gotten behind them and started pushing the rubber out which in turn frigged up my seamless transitions from pump part to pump part etc. Long story short I am going to black beauty the crevices that I scraped the 5200 out of and fill them with some type of epoxy...either west systems 105 plus 206 hardener or the west systems gflex which I've been told is the best for aluminum bonding. I plan to fill the seams around my intake grate etc and I want to do it the best way possible. I can't find marine tex in larger quantities without totally breaking the bank...the west systems stuff I can get for about 65 bucks.

Just hoping to hear that some of you had experience with the two types...

thanks,

Mike

There is no winter in Hawaii! tnerb's Avatar
    I have contemplated doing this myself, but bought the rubber plugs. If I were going to do it I would use the 105 / 206 and either the 410 microlight filler or the 407 low density filler. I haven;t worked with the G/Flex product so I don't know about that. I have read that some guys have used bondo with success. Let us know how it turns out whichever way you go.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    I used short strand body filler on one shoe. turned out good. just doesn't have the self leveling properties of epoxy. cheap too. All i can suggest is that wheatever you do, sandblast the cavities so that you get a good bond.

+1
    [quote=MJE;1070276]Long story short I am going to black beauty the crevices that I scraped the 5200 out of and fill them with some type of epoxy.

already on it sir. I want to give the g/flex a shot but I am concerned with liquidity to be able to flow it into the actual crevices to get the maximum surface area covered. The G/Flex seems very viscous compared to 105 systems stuff. Can any of you expand on the filler options? I'm going to the marina where one of my skis is to help put it onto the trailer so it can be wet sanded and buffed since the paint is now dry and I'll ask the guys there as well. I have to do the pump tunnel reinforcement so I'm kinda leaning towards 105 system at the moment.

+1
    I used the Right Stuff on a gp800r and a gp1200r, even used it to seal the pump shoe up to the hull, so far its stayed together better than the 5200 crap does. To fill in the big spots, we used clear rtv sealant to just fill the void, then added the right stuff over the top of it and smoothed it out to give it that pump plug kit look.
    SHOOTER

+1
    I used polly resin... let it cure and then 5200 over it... cheap easy, and its not going anywhere...

bondo is polyester resin. 15 bucks will fill a pump shoe and all the areas filled are then coated with single part polyurathane sealant adheasive. 5200, pl , and np1 all cure better under water. there is no way for the plugs of stuff to become dislodged.

Thread Information