Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation 04 GPR hesitates at holeshot after D plate + other minor mods

First off I want to say thanks for the information and advice readily available on this forum that has helped me with my first few mods. However I have an issue where the ski would bog down badly for a second or two, then pull out and run fine all the way to the top end. Never had an issue when it was bone stock, besides the cavitation, which I seemed to have resolved.

I put in a D plate and a chip, ppk w/4200, r&d grate, and reinforced the tunnel with some fiberglass and epoxy. I also have replaced the spark plugs with the br8es non 11s and gapped them to .043. Could those be causing my problems? Also, I have reproduced the problem on dry land, so I don't think the issue is with the grate or the ppk (cavitation).

It's almost as if the engine is not getting enough fuel, or getting too much fuel when I punch it from a dead stop. Could the D plate cause that? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, so I've swapped the spark plugs to the 11s, no change. I'm seriously considering swapping the D plate with the original cat. It was still in decent shape when I yanked it out. That would be the only engine mod I've done that could cause this. My guess is that the D plate leaned it out too much, and I'm not getting enough fuel (I had a jeep cherokee that would do the same thing when the tps/fuel delivery sensor wasn't plugged in). Hopefully I'll get it fixed temporarily untill I can get an EFI controller, at which point I'll put the D plate back in. Even the installation manual says I need an EFI controller, otherwise a lean condition may result. Now most of you guys recommend not to get one unless I go further in the engine with the mods. Any thoughts? Concerns? Anybody?
    One more thing to mention, when I was reinforcing the tunnel, I removed the waterbox, but didn't change it's position when I put it back in. Per service manual, it's sitting 1/2 inch higher than the transom plate.
    Last edited by djzlatko; 05-25-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: additional information

+1
    Yes it could be the D-plate. I had the same issue when i installed it and so have a couple people. Put the stock cat con back in is not the right thing to do. Get an EFI controller, I know alot of people here say you dont need one with a D-plate only until you get your head milled or further engine work. The EFI controller fixed my issue.

Allright, I'll go ahead and get that ordered up. Figure 300+ for a controller ain't to bad since I plan on further modding the ski, and feed the addiction . Should I just go ahead and use riva stage 1 settings or something different? Eventually I'll go to premix, but for now, do I need to add any oil to the gas tank to compensate for the increase in fuel, and if so, how much? Thanks a million.

+1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69582 . Adding a little bit of oil to your gas never hurt. EFI controller settings are different for everyone. Without a milled head i had it set at 6616.

Quote Originally Posted by xsockguyx View Post
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69582 . Adding a little bit of oil to your gas never hurt. EFI controller settings are different for everyone. Without a milled head i had it set at 6616.
    and what do you have it set for right now?
    I dialed the first pot back to 5. was getting burbble at idle/low r`s. now it`s ok... 5 6 1.5 6

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    and what do you have it set for right now?
    I dialed the first pot back to 5. was getting burbble at idle/low r`s. now it`s ok... 5 6 1.5 6
    I set it right now at 3417 and the ski was running pretty good. I'm going out Friday i'm gonna bring up the first pod to a 4 and check my rpm's and do some WOT runs.

+1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9685 here's a great thread on tuning your EFI controller. Just found it

Quote Originally Posted by xsockguyx View Post
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9685 here's a great thread on tuning your EFI controller. Just found it
    Thanks Mike!...

Thanks guys, I'll come back in a few days and post the results. Hopefully someone else finds this information useful too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information