Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Groco strainers -yes or no?

I know a few years back many of us added Groco strainers, quite often to keep our gen1 Riva ICs from clogging. Lately people have been saying they have exploded strainers and no longer like them on their skis ... are most people removing their strainers, or putting on a new bowl every year, or?

For those who have had failures, was it the bowl that cracked/broke? How old was it? Mine has two years on it and is discolored, so I bought a new one thinking it would be less likely to break since it is brand new, but now I am debating about using one at all ... opinions?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I know a few years back many of us added Groco strainers, quite often to keep our gen1 Riva ICs from clogging. Lately people have been saying they have exploded strainers and no longer like them on their skis ... are most people removing their strainers, or putting on a new bowl every year, or?

For those who have had failures, was it the bowl that cracked/broke? How old was it? Mine has two years on it and is discolored, so I bought a new one thinking it would be less likely to break since it is brand new, but now I am debating about using one at all ... opinions?
    I swapped mine up for a PPG strainer and it's been 100% better..

+1
    I have had Zero Issues with mine..Had it on for 2 years now..I cant see how removing it would be of a good thing seeing all the shit that goes through them...Even if you had to replace them every couple years a 20 dollar stainer is way more cheaper than replacing a IC

+1
    Alex, did you have issues with your Groco? Is the PPG bigger, stronger, or? I have never had much luck with seeing products on their site ...

Snoman, I agree ... and would like to keep mine on, it definitely catches crap, and putting a new one on every year or two is very cheap, especially if that stops them from cracking. Gotta say, my two year old bowl was discolored and had some crazing/cracking, so I thought a new one would be wise ...

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Alex, did you have issues with your Groco? Is the PPG bigger, stronger, or? I have never had much luck with seeing products on their site ...

Snoman, I agree ... and would like to keep mine on, it definitely catches crap, and putting a new one on every year or two is very cheap, especially if that stops them from cracking. Gotta say, my two year old bowl was discolored and had some crazing/cracking, so I thought a new one would be wise ...
    IMO, It's a better design.. The PPG strainer is alot stronger and has a larger 3" clear screw on cap.

I started to notice cracks in my old Groco, so I ditched it..

+1
    Thanks Alex, I am seeing the same on my old Groco, so I replaced it. It sounds like the PPG unit is more like a boat style sea strainer ... not a bad idea.

+1
    Vern,

We ride in real shallow water And I am running without a strainer.

So far so good. My friends think it will not last. Will let ya know.

I do flush after every ride.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrager View Post
    Vern,

We ride in real shallow water And I am running without a strainer.

So far so good. My friends think it will not last. Will let ya know.

I do flush after every ride.

I had brought my ski over to my mechanic months ago to repair sponsons because the bolts had broken off inside the backing plates from corrosion when i tried to adjust them. When he looked inside the ski and saw the Strainer mounting bracket he ask what it was for.....so I told him that i was installing a strainer.

He freaked out.......and told me that if i installed one on my ski he wouldnt work on it......he's rebuilt 3 skis who've had motor melt down from blocked strainers,etc, etc. He's a real laid-back guy so i was surprised to see a reaction like this over a strainer.

His rationale was that the manufacturers design the cooling system aware of this and that whatever is blowing in there is going to blow out. I think the key is a high-speed, high-pressure flush in sediment free water to blow out out any debris that gets up into the system.

Two different trains of thought i guess....so as a result im not using the strainer but I am keeping an open-mind about the subject. If you are the type of person who is conscientious enough to check that strainer all the time...by all means, run it. I'm a little bit on the absent-minded side so......not running one. Not to mention the SHO factory is such a POS that if it did clog i prolly would not notice a performance decrease....

If you do run the strainer, Just be careful and check it often, as my fear is, that i would hit a shallow patch in St. Johns or k-river that would clog it up and overheat the motor (or worse, according to the mechanic)

+1
    It's better to have the strainer clog up (you can empty it) than have your intercooler clog up (you will be replacing it)

for the seadoo guys if your strainer fills up with debris you will get a H temp warning due to lack of water flow through the exhaust. You will probably notice a reduction in RPM before this happens though. The reduction in RPM's comes from the intercooler not cooling well due to poor water flow.
    When this happens just empty the strainer and you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    It's better to have the strainer clog up (you can empty it) than have your intercooler clog up (you will be replacing it)

for the seadoo guys if your strainer fills up with debris you will get a H temp warning due to lack of water flow through the exhaust. You will probably notice a reduction in RPM before this happens though. The reduction in RPM's comes from the intercooler not cooling well due to poor water flow.
    When this happens just empty the strainer and you are good to go.
    As usual ..... Excellent Tip

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information