Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

first ride of season, minor issues

96 sl 780, machine was running great for 3 or 4 hours, then apppeared to be in limp mode...., nope, pto cylinder plug oil fouled. changed plu, fixed problem and is still running ok. it runs a little rough at lower speeds, but at higher rpms goes like heck. checked plug after an 1/2 hour or so, it is starting to foul again. adjusted low speed mix, seems to resolve the issue so far....at full throttle it hits 6340 rpms, is this where it should be? any words of wisdom?

One other issue....a couple of times when the start button was pressed, nothing but a click in the black box(CDI), indicate anything to you guys?

I have spent some time searching for answers and will continue to search, but any help will be appreciated. thanks

From the info I can find the RPM's at 6340 @ full throttle is good..not sure from what I've read....trying to weed through all the posts ....again 2 are great, the PTO plug fouled, it runs a little rough at low speeds up to about 4000 RPM's, then smooths out and takes off like it hits a powerband...real simiilar to what I am used too with a bike...is this right?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    6340 RPM is about normal. Should be a little closer to 6500, but not bad at all.

Oil fouling one plug isn't normal. The oil pump is controlled by the throttle linkage, and feeds all the carbs the same. So, 1 oiling more than the others doesn't seem right.

As for the click during cranking, make sure the battery is in good condition. And the battery cables are clean and tight, including the ground at the base of the engine.

The Fuji (blue) engines really don't like low RPM. Runs a bit rough around 3k RPM and below. After that, it usually comes up on the pipe like a bike.

Thanks for responding...so if it fouls one plug I should be checking for weak spark and/or low compression? Most threads point me in that direction...can I do piston and/or rings in one only? as long as compression is good in the other 2?

thanks

+1
    It also could be a fuel delivery issue. Have the carbs/fuel system been cleaned?

When I got the machine over the winter, the carbs were the first thing cleaned, and fuel lines changed, per the advice of the green hulk. carbs were not gummed up at all, pretty clean...all cylinders had almost identical comp, low but equal. I am going to borrow a gauge this week, I don't think mine is working correctly, then trim the plug wires and run it again.

thanks

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Yes, you can do only 1 cylinder.

If the piston is good, you may be able to just re-ring and hone that cyl. Pretty cheap to do.

OK,...I checked comp. seems higher than I would have expected 150+,160+,160+. I was expecting 140 to 150. The 150 is the cylinder fouling the plug, so I should start there, new rings and maybe more. I might make the drive again tomorrow to double check the readings... again, those are kinda high right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gruba View Post
    OK,...I checked comp. seems higher than I would have expected 150+,160+,160+. ... again, those are kinda high right?
    What brand tester ? Different gauges can give different readings. Variation between cylinders is more important than the actual numerical reading.

no name on it, a buddy has a auto repair shop and I borrowed it from him, said it works fine...still a 10 lb difference is too much, I going to have to get into it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information