Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

951 RAVE valve issue

Hey everyone,

I have a 98 GSX Limited, which seems to be missing some RPMs and the RAVE valves definitely stick ... with them unplugged the revs are linear but slow to rev and didnt get as high as they do with the RAVEs plugged in ....

With them plugged in it takes awhile from 5000 - 5500rpm, but then it takes off all the way to the highest RPM i see (roughly 6800 which i know is a bit low, but im a heavy rider and i think that has something to do with it)

I notice theres oil film inside the lines going between the RAVEs and the solenoid, id imagine this means that something is damaged. I pulled one of the caps and i notice it has red diaphragms, all of the pictures of parts i see are green ones.

Is there any sure fire way to know what all needs to be replaced?

Thanks

I just took the RAVE valves apart, it seems like theres quite a bit of oil under the diaphragm caps, i imagine that the 25 dollar RAVE valve kit that SBT sells would b e what i need? I see it comes with the O ring that seals at the bottom of the inside of the rave housing? I see theres also an o ring on the other side of the rave too, that was on the shaft when i pulled it apart...

The kit from SBT comes with everything it shows, 2 orings too even though it only shows one on the site. I ordered 2 kits for my XP. I've never seen a red bellow, only green.

Quote Originally Posted by jwick86 View Post
    The kit from SBT comes with everything it shows, 2 orings too even though it only shows one on the site. I ordered 2 kits for my XP. I've never seen a red bellow, only green.
    OK ... there shouldnt be oil in this thing i'd imagine right? lol

I plan on ordering those 2 kits, and replacing the pulse lines between the solenoid and the 2 RAVEs

+1
    i have red bellows in my 98 xpl and green in my 00 gtx. from what i have read, the green bellows are a stiffer upgraded verison of the reds. just get the kits and rebuild them. less to worry about then

+1
    Yes there will be oil in those lines. The pressure is pulled right from the rear crank cavity so whatever is in your engine is in those RAVE lines.

If you disable the solonoid (as you describe) and it does not rev as high (should have hit around 6500ish) then with the solonoid operable it goes to 6800 (perfectly respectable stock rpms for a 947) then your RAVEs ARE working.

On a steady increase of rpm the RAVEs are not comanded on by the MPEM until around 6000 rpm. If you snatch the throttle (even off idle) they are then opened immediatly.

A 947 without RAVEs will feel pretty much the same as with them until 5500 to 6500 where it will be rather flat and top out at 6500 (again, ish, as some will be a little lower or higher). If the boat is slower to rev without the RAVEs than with them (and this would only apply to a high throttle input situation) then they must be working and something else is making it boggy.

A quick disclaimer, it may be that though they open, they are slow to. I am not certain since I do not know just how much throttle you were pulling when these symptoms occured. You could have a leak in the supply line or the check valve could be clogged/partly clogged. Since it has red bellows it would not hurt to replace them. They could be the source of the leak, but you should see evidence of that leak under the cap, I would think.

It kind of sounds like fuel delivery. What color are the fuel lines? Have the carbs ever been cleaned/rebuilt?

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    Yes there will be oil in those lines. The pressure is pulled right from the rear crank cavity so whatever is in your engine is in those RAVE lines.

If you disable the solonoid (as you describe) and it does not rev as high (should have hit around 6500ish) then with the solonoid operable it goes to 6800 (perfectly respectable stock rpms for a 947) then your RAVEs ARE working.

On a steady increase of rpm the RAVEs are not comanded on by the MPEM until around 6000 rpm. If you snatch the throttle (even off idle) they are then opened immediatly.

A 947 without RAVEs will feel pretty much the same as with them until 5500 to 6500 where it will be rather flat and top out at 6500 (again, ish, as some will be a little lower or higher). If the boat is slower to rev without the RAVEs than with them (and this would only apply to a high throttle input situation) then they must be working and something else is making it boggy.

A quick disclaimer, it may be that though they open, they are slow to. I am not certain since I do not know just how much throttle you were pulling when these symptoms occured. You could have a leak in the supply line or the check valve could be clogged/partly clogged. Since it has red bellows it would not hurt to replace them. They could be the source of the leak, but you should see evidence of that leak under the cap, I would think.

It kind of sounds like fuel delivery. What color are the fuel lines? Have the carbs ever been cleaned/rebuilt?
    Carbs are rebuilt with genuine kits, and the jetting reccomended in ben's secret mods for carbs w/o accelerator pumps (i disabled them) ...
    I also replaced the fuel lines already as per the sticky

Other Mods:
    +1 degree MPEM timing
    ADA Racing 50cc dome head
    Concorde 15/20
    250lb rider

+1
    When it was bogging from 5-5500, did you have the throttle pinned?

I have the same setup as you on my XPL with the exception of the Concord. I can turn 7000 all day long and it rips through the whole band (you got 25lbs on me).

My .02...

Go back to a stock prop, clean the RAVEs and put new goodies in there, get a new check valve, and look over that supply line for any leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    When it was bogging from 5-5500, did you have the throttle pinned?

I have the same setup as you on my XPL with the exception of the Concord. I can turn 7000 all day long and it rips through the whole band (you got 25lbs on me).

My .02...

Go back to a stock prop, clean the RAVEs and put new goodies in there, get a new check valve, and look over that supply line for any leaks.
    Yes the throttle was pinned ... it didnt really, bog, but it was just real slow to climb in RPMS

When you talk about the check valve, are you talking about that piece that is electrically connected right next to the valves? and where does that supply line end up? I'll just replace it with new vacuum line to be safe

+1
    It comes off a nipple right next to the pulse line under the rear carb. There should be a one-way check valve near the engine in that line (the arrow points towards the RAVE solonoid). The check valve is there because the case cavity has both pressure and vac. The valve allows pressure to push through but vac closes it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information