GP1200r Gas Power Valves

GP1200r Gas Power Valves
    I have a 2001 yamaha GP1200r and I am having trouble with my newly installed gas power valves.
    The trouble, it started with a major lose of power. So I did some investigating and found that a reed petal finger had broken off, and a power valves was broke. I replaced all the reed petals, piston and added gas power valves installed everything comp. 120 PSI. The machine starts and runs but not as fast as it was before I did all the work. It use to run 65 MPH, now it will barely 58 to 60 MPH. The power valves move freely but I don't think that the power valves are opening. If I rev the engine high out of the water the valves barely move. I have the red cap almost all the way out and they barely move. The springs are 42MM long and they have some red paint on them, does anybody know if they should be cut or can you run without the springs? This ski has 75 hour on it,and its stock except for a D-plate, pump shoe kit and gas power valves. Any help would be much appretiated.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ1200r View Post
    GP1200r Gas Power Valves
    I have a 2001 yamaha GP1200r and I am having trouble with my newly installed gas power valves.
    The trouble, it started with a major lose of power. So I did some investigating and found that a reed petal finger had broken off, and a power valves was broke. I replaced all the reed petals, piston and added gas power valves installed everything comp. 120 PSI. The machine starts and runs but not as fast as it was before I did all the work. It use to run 65 MPH, now it will barely 58 to 60 MPH. The power valves move freely but I don't think that the power valves are opening. If I rev the engine high out of the water the valves barely move. I have the red cap almost all the way out and they barely move. The springs are 42MM long and they have some red paint on them, does anybody know if they should be cut or can you run without the springs? This ski has 75 hour on it,and its stock except for a D-plate, pump shoe kit and gas power valves. Any help would be much appretiated.
    I wouldnt rev it high out of the water.... i would get a tac and see what the rpms are at top speed.... i am learning about gas valves.... may want to go to them next year....

turn the adjusters out (red knobs in each pic in centre of PV cover.

they are probably wound in and wont open properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31072008723.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	719.1 KB 
ID:	133454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10042009179.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	934.8 KB 
ID:	133455  

+1
    Make sure the pv housing is properly adjusted when bolted to the cylinder.The pv can get stuck and not function correctly. Take the black caps off and make sure the valves move up and down easily with no resistance.

+1
    If you think its the springs or clamps just remove all of it and go out and see if you pick up any rpms. If your using your speedo for a comparsion you are wasting your time. GPS only for testing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YudLuz2 View Post
    If you think its the springs or clamps just remove all of it and go out and see if you pick up any rpms. If your using your speedo for a comparsion you are wasting your time. GPS only for testing.
    +1

you are not going to see good movement on the trailer, motor must be loaded

just remove the black caps and go ride it

it will be a dog out of the hole, but will take off when the rpms come up

Thread Information