Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

787 carb question

I have a quick carb question. I haven't been able to get some time out on the river yet but something seemed weird today when I started up my Sea Don't. When I rev it up to about 4500 out of water on the hose the rpms seem to hang for about 3 seconds after I get off the throttle. I can never remember the engine operating like that. The rpms had always dropped down right after I got off the throttle. Makes me think it's too lean. Hopefully I can get some time soon to test it out on the water. Thanks

LS 1 turn
    75 pilot
    150 main
    HS 1 turn
    1.5 needle
    65 spring

Mine did that too. It would max out at 7,080 WOT and would idle at 2,300 in the water. Turned out the carb filters were gunked up on the PTO side. Tear the carbs apart and clean them. Clean the fuel selector while you are at it.

+1
    Well it's still doing the same thing. Pulled the carbs last night and the filters look clean. I found a little 1211 three bond in the fuel pump that came up from the pulse line. I made sure there wasn't any in the pulse line. I had recently pulled the engine to do an inspection on the crank bearings. I haven't cleaned out the fuel selector yet but it's only 2 years old. I'll do that tonight. I've had to increase the idle quite a bit to get it to idle. I checked the pop off. The pto carb seemed like it was 1-2 psi higher than the mag. I'm not sure of the accuracy of my homemade popoff gauge but I was getting about 25 psi with the 65 gram and 32 psi with the 80. I think my gauge is a little low.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You may have an air leak. How many turns out are you on your low speeds? Have you tried increasing them (out)1/4 turn to see if the engine settles down?

+1
    i have the same problem kinda... took my ski out this past weekend...the bottom end acceleration is fine but it hangs a out at like half throttle constantlly....not allowing it to get up on plane when i have the throttlw wide open.....i just went through and cleaned the carbs before it happened...

Loosen the gas cap next time and see if it clears up. If so the fuel tank vent check valve is bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Loosen the gas cap next time and see if it clears up. If so the fuel tank vent check valve is bad.
    il try that....thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    ok loosened the gas cap and it runs like normal! so can the check valve be cleaned somehow or do i need a new one

Just buy a new one. Pay close attention which direction it installs. Glad that was it!

+1
    ok so i went out today and it's doing the same thing! so it couldnt be the check valves. So im guessing it's a carb problem, now when i open it full throttle it smokes about twenty times worse then it ever has. like its running with the choke on(rich)i didn't adjust the carbs at all since the rebuild over the winter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information