Gas filling question on sl750

My question is on my 94 SL750 since the fuel filler is at the front of the ski it seems like the fuel tank never really gets full even though its as full as you can get it without gas going everywhere. I have checked it by eye and by my gas gauge. My gauge when I fill the tank say's its 3/4 full and by the time it gets to 1/4 on the gauge it wants to run out of gas and make me switch to reserve setting. Is this something I am just going to have to put up with? Or could I actually tilt the trailer up when filling up to get more gas in the tank.. Just wondering whats everybody's thought are on this. I guess this is why the newer ski's have the filler higher up near the handle bars.

picture of the ski where the filler is.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I don't know how much more fuel you can stuff in by tilting the trailer, but you do need to leave at least some air space inside the tank for fuel expansion, or your going to have fuel pushing out the vent and running down the hull.

If you do stuff the tank, take the seat off when you get to the water, make sure there are no fumes inside the hull. And ride it, don't let it just sit with an over full tank.

BTW, since the filler is so low to the water, you should check that the seal inside the cap is 100% good, and that there are no cranks or anything else that could let water into the fuel tank, or let fuel seep into the hull.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'd say get used to it. Unless you replace the sender.

Yeah, I am with xlint89. Get used to it. They are never meant to me completely full. If you are running out on a single day you are doing a lot of riding on the Fuji engine. I typically go several hours. Do you carry a can with you on your trailer so you don't have to go back to the station to fill up?

Is your trailer level or down a few degrees? Just curious, better to be a little high than low on the tongue.

the trailer is level when hooked up to my Jeep so I know thats fine. And I am really not doing that much ridding.. I have only put 3-4 hours on it in about a month of owning it. Maybe my guage is a little off since it displays 3/4 full even though the tank is totally full..

The only other thing I can think of is that the fuel sender is dirty or partially clogged and it makes the fuel at the bottom of the tank un-usable since that part of the sender is clogged. It is a pain to take off and clean out. Maybe some fuel system cleaner would help as a quick fix? Worth a try...

Quote Originally Posted by Ctek View Post
    The only other thing I can think of is that the fuel sender is dirty or partially clogged and it makes the fuel at the bottom of the tank un-usable since that part of the sender is clogged. It is a pain to take off and clean out. Maybe some fuel system cleaner would help as a quick fix? Worth a try...
    Well just last week when doing the tipple outlet upgrade I pulled the sender and all the lines out of the tank and replaced with new ones. I also made sure I cut them to the exact length as the old lines that I took off..

+1
    I use a jeep as a tow vehicle too. I always unhook the trailer and use the jack to tilt up the ski a little that allows you to fill the tank a little more. Polaris did a good job of making the ski look cool with the fuel cap up front like that but function wise it can be a hassle when trying to fill up and being under water a lot like that check your fuel cap gasket often, don't over tighten the cap either. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ujustlost View Post
    I use a jeep as a tow vehicle too. I always unhook the trailer and use the jack to tilt up the ski a little that allows you to fill the tank a little more. Polaris did a good job of making the ski look cool with the fuel cap up front like that but function wise it can be a hassle when trying to fill up and being under water a lot like that check your fuel cap gasket often, don't over tighten the cap either. Mike
    Good to hear.. Thats what I was thinking would have to be done just wanted to see if anybody else was doing the same. They really should have put the filler in a higher location though!

Thread Information