Cut stock X grate advice needed...

I want to mod my stock grate but there seems to be a lack of actual photos and specifics regarding this procedure. Is it as simple as cutting the wings off or is the top of the scoop cut as well.

+1
    Cut the wings off and smooth the area of the cut. Then run it and report back on your findings. Now trim the center scoop even with the grate and repeat. Here's your chance to educate all of us on this mod. Keep an eye on your fuel burn also.

Quote Originally Posted by yz426er View Post
    I want to mod my stock grate but there seems to be a lack of actual photos and specifics regarding this procedure. Is it as simple as cutting the wings off or is the top of the scoop cut as well.
    I cut the side wings off flush with the grates, and then chopped the top as well. Do a GPS pass before to get a base line, Cut the side wings off, do another pass and then finally cut the top off and repeat GPS. Its the one thing I wish I would have done and did not.

check the 2nd post here http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=76831&page=9

This is what your grate should look like finished.

Nice find Paul. Thank you very much, that is exactly what I was looking for. I'll cut the wings first and test then remove and shape the top section a little at a time. Ultimate top speed is not my goal, now don't get me wrong I do need to run 70+ consistently in the rough but I am not willing to sacrifice what I want and need for some top speed bragging rights. I do need my boat to stay hooked up, rip in the rough, thru the turns and get good fuel mileage .

Nice find Paul. Thank you very much, that is exactly what I was looking for. I'll cut the wings first and test then remove and shape the top section a little at a time. Ultimate top speed is not my goal, now don't get me wrong I do need to run 70+ consistently in the rough but I am not willing to sacrifice what I want and need for some top speed bragging rights. I do need my boat to stay hooked up, rip in the rough, thru the turns and get good fuel mileage .
    heh it took me may days of searching to find it, I figured I'd help you out. There is a ton of great info on RXT-X mods in that thread, Props to STSPERFORMANCE.

Thread Information