Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help 97 seadoo gsx!!!!

Yes, I'm a kawasaki guy, asking for some help on getting my friends 97 seadoo gsx running. So please help im totally lost on what to do. The ski has been sitting for awhile. Took apart the engine, found the crankcase had water oil mix in it. I cleaned it out the best I could, re-honed the cylinders, put new rings on the pistons, disassembled carbs, new starter, battery, and gasket set, also new fuel lines. the ski has a factory pipe on it, and aftermarket flame arrestors on it. I hit the starter button, and it cranks, cranks, and cranks. Nothing. I put new fuel in it, still nothing. If I spray starting fluid down the carbs, it comes alive for about 5 sec and dies again. The fuel filter has fuel in it, and the line heading towards the carbs has fuel in it, but then acts like its going back to the tank....being this is a clear line which ables me to see whats happening. the only other thing I can think of is that its the fuel pump diaphram. I checked it and theres no pinholes in it, but seems wrinked a little bit. what else could it be??? I'm pulling my hair out I'm so frusterated. I told him that there being water in the crankcase, I wasnt sure how long it would last. also when its cranking the hull seems to have a little smoke in it, but could be the starting fluid, an pre-lube. So I reaaally need some help here guys

+1
    pulse line hooked up to the carb and to the case fitting?-- I've seen that several times.

Hi, jim, thanks for the reply, yes it is hooked up.........anymore ideas? this has been an ongoing frustrating project, would like to get it running. please help. thanks

I wouldn't think the diaphram has any holes in it as you see fuel returning back to the tank so it is getting pulse. When you had the carbs apart, did you clean the filters inside the carbs? Blow out the low speed jets? Set the low speed adjusters 1 turn +/-.25? High adjusters 0? Just starting points on the carbs. Also, did you turn the idle screw in at all? I rebuilt mine and had to crack the throttle open to fire it, then adjust the idle screw in. 142.5 main, 70 pilot, 80g springs are stock.

Did you set the rotary valve timing correctly? 146.5* opening and 64* closing. Usually it will start but backfire unless the timing is way off and it can't start.

Do you have spark?

Thanks for the reply jwick86, I do have spark. I pulled the carbs and disassembled everything blew the jets out and, put the high and low speed screws in the same number of turns they were set at before....basically read a clymer manual and followed step by step. rotary valve I assume that would be the R.A.V.E's, I just pulled them apart and cleaned them, and put the new o-ring on them and put them back in. Timing???? Confused on that, I dont think I messed with that, I just did a topend, of course that doesnt mean I completely missed something. I did clean the internal filters. If I spray starting fluid down the carbs, it fires up, but it stumbles. Do you have to turn the idle screws in all the way, and adjust out??

+1
    The RAVEs and the Rotary Valve are two different things.

The RValve is behind the RValve cover to which the intake manifold that holds the carbs is bolted. It rides on a shaft that is perpendicular to the crank and is driven by a pinion gear off the crank. It serves the same function as the reeds in your Kawis.

If the RValve is out of time badly enough it will not run but I have seen them start up with the RValve 180* out so start/no start does not really tell you much. If it is not turning at all it would probably not run so that seems to be out.

If you pulled the engine apart you would have seen the Rotary Valve. Is this boat by chance a GSXL?

Each motor is different as to the idle setting. Try cracking the throttle when you start it to see if it starts. If it does you need to adjust the idle screw in to open the plates. I wouldn't keep using starting fluid, that stuff kills 2 strokes. Its meant to force something to start. These motors are suppose to send fuel back to the tank. You should be able to see where the idle adjusters hits the throttle plate. There should be NO gap between. If there is a gap, your not controlling the idle. Adjust it in and see if it fires. That motor should be about 3k out of the water, 1500 in the water.

Did you have the carbs all the way apart? If yes, the needle and seat may be stuck open or opening when you put it together. You should do a pop off test if up above does not work. It will tell you if the carbs are pouring fuel into the motor.

Start with the idle screw, turn it in some and see if it fires and stays running. If it starts on starting fluid but dies, it tells me its carbs.

I recently aquired a SeaDoo ski that would not start. It simply wouldn't start no matter what I did... even using starter fluid down the cylinders. The previous owner (a motorcycle mechanic) had just rebuilt it but then could not get it to start. I tore it down and found out he had the Rotary Valve on exactly opposite of what it should have been. On the up stroke of the piston a lower pressure generated in the chamber pulls air/fuel from the carb into the chamber. With it installed backwards.... the air flow from the carb was covered up when it should have been open. Even with starter fluid- if you have no air coming in you have no explosion! That is why it didn't work either.

Started right up after I put the rotary valve on correctly. Follow this link to make sure you did it right: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13959

Thanks guys, I now know about the rotary valve, all I did was take the head off, pulled raves out, pull the cylinders off, rehoned them, pistons looked good so I just replaced the rings. Man I just dont remember seeing that rotary valve, nor did I take the cover off. It is not a gsxl, its just red and white, and says gsx. Now the only thing the ski has aftermarket is a factory pipe, and aftermarket flame arrestors. Now could the owner before my buddy, have advanced the timing(rotary valve)? I pulled the carbs off last night and the carb with the fuel pump has fuel in it, but the other 1 is dry. I have tried to hold the throttle wide open and started it, does nothing, just acts like it has no fuel. Yeah I dont like using starting fluid either, but everytime I turn around my buddy is spraying it down the carbs to get it running, lol. I just dont know, I will try to pull the carbs apart again and try to get them cleaned out, who knows maybe something is blocking the line?? If this doesnt work, I imagine it would have to be the timing?

+1
    Make sure the fuel inlet and return lines are not switched. It is easy to do when they are the same size. Just make sure the inlet comes from the filter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information