Thread: Alot of blowby

Exclamation Alot of blowby

i put the 4" air on my GTX this weekend and the RIVA 3" had (what i think) is a lot of blowby.

when reading about catch cans some people have suggested that it only needs to be emptied every couple of rides. After seeing what was in the intake it seems like the catch can would be filled after several hours of riding.

is this normal? how much blow by should i expect to be seeing?

hooked up home made can, but didn't get out for a ride though.

If its the same GH catch-can, then as long as its water-based, and just pale oily/fuell-ish smell, then don't worry too much, its generally condensation that is pushed thro to the breather... its what is says it is.. a breather, and because its a cooler area where it gets to, it wil condense in there, which is what you want to happen. Its steam condensed up in the cooling pot.

My new engine, dependant upon use that day can 1/8th fill it with watery gunky stuff, but no problems with the engine at all, its perfect.

Unless it has a burnt smell to it, and is gooey with less water than oil. Its a good indication that something is wrong.

Generally the compression will go haywire, and oil consumption will rise is a good indication too.

Its a difficult thing to define unless I could show you. Next time I collect some of this, I will take a pic and post it here for all to see.

As long as its watery, don't panic too much.

Low hours or high Hrs by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post
    If its the same GH catch-can, then as long as its water-based, and just pale oily/fuell-ish smell, then don't worry too much, its generally condensation that is pushed thro to the breather... its what is says it is.. a breather, and because its a cooler area where it gets to, it wil condense in there, which is what you want to happen. Its steam condensed up in the cooling pot.

My new engine, dependant upon use that day can 1/8th fill it with watery gunky stuff, but no problems with the engine at all, its perfect.

Unless it has a burnt smell to it, and is gooey with less water than oil. Its a good indication that something is wrong.

Generally the compression will go haywire, and oil consumption will rise is a good indication too.

Its a difficult thing to define unless I could show you. Next time I collect some of this, I will take a pic and post it here for all to see.

As long as its watery, don't panic too much.

Low hours or high Hrs by the way?
    thank you. I know not to worry and that the blow by is natural, i just didn't think it would be so abundant.

the ski just turned 65 hours on it. the blow by is pale and milky and seems like a natural oil/ gas blow by mix. I'm not worried at all about the substance, just how much of it their is!

Thread Information