Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Rode my 1st RXP today

And the stock RXP puts the stock GP1300r to shame. I hope Yami is planning something big in the upcoming year b/c right now Yamaha is way behind.....

+1
    Yea but it's still cheaper to mod the GPR and chances are that it will last longer. No one ever argued that the RXP was king of holeshot and speed when comparing stock for stock.

But i will take the handling of the GPR over the RXP anyday. Plus i agree with you, if yamaha doesn't do something soon, they will be left in the dust. Sea-Doo is eating their azz in sales right now, and dealers love selling them because they always see them back in the shop to replace clutches and superchargers - then they get to bill SD for the labor hours, so it's a win-win for them.

I just don't know if Yami will step up to the plate or not this year. We will find out soon because the dealer meeting and 2007 rollout is in September. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Agree on what you state. I love the Yami's hull and handling to the rxp, but out of the box, you have to put A LOT of work in the Yami just to get close to rxp speeds....not to mention the rxp with its weight went through chop much better than my 01 gpr. I am in the process of getting an additional ski and it is hard to not lean towards the rxp as much as I dislike sea doo....

+1
    actually the rxp stock is about 69-70 and the 05/06 GPR stock is 65-66.

Thats just a modified ride plate addition to the GPR to be neck and neck on speed. So a 250 buck addition and 1,500 price difference off the showroom floor? Not bad IMO.

You still win on the hole shot though. That's hard to touch without going further into the motor.

Not sure how accurate RIVA is, but according to them, a stage 1 on a rxp will get you to 72....a stage 2 on a gpr will MAYBE get you to 71....then factor in the oil, etc for the yami, the costs are almost even...i don't know...tough decision....I wish yami looked like they were trying to compete still for the top spot....

+1
    Ron,
    you need to understand that if you REALLY START COMPARING COST, the gpr is about x100 cheaper than the RXP if you have something happen to the engine. If any of you are doubting this, then let's just get San Diego Joe to come on here and post what his repair cost are, since a rod went through the side... then add list price and what the labor may cost you.

I understand about the ride. The RXP is much faster out of the box, handles the rough better, but doesn't turn for crap. You add a bunch of mods, and then the RXP is better at turning. HOWEVER, you spend that same amount of money on the GPR, then all of a sudden it's FASTER than the RXP and now turns... plus you are still cheaper than ever.

I keep comparing these two skis as a Mercedes versus a Corvette. If you want to compare thems as apples/apples, you will drive yourself crazy with the destractions of how different they really, really are.

IMHO,
    I enjoy riding both. They are both good skis. They are not the same style skis.

I've spent a boat load for repairs on my gpr, so I am not sure how reliable either are.

The reason I am leaning towards the RXP is b/c I am not comfortable messing with the engine, etc. I rather stay with bolt ons and ride rather than sit in a garage wrenching....maybe I will just keep the gpr and get an rxp....

+1
    Good luck.

Thanks for the useful info....these damn boats are getting expensive....

Take a stock rxp and add a top loader grate & fill the plate holes add 2 mph and way better hook up in chop and holeshot... Then plumb the air intake to the tunnel add another .5 mph...Cost~ $150

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information