Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Sensor" flashing briefly and another odd issue.

Ok. So I just finished the build on my significant other's RXP. We did an X charger, XS intercooler, injectors, rrfpr, riva exhaust, etc.

The maiden voyage was mostly a success. There are no fuel, boost, or water leaks. The ski hits 8150 rpm and pulls strong. I dont own a GPS so I cant tell you what speed it hit..

There are only two items that remain unknown/unsolved:

When you start the ski, the word "sensor" flashes on the screen and then goes away. It does not come back on until you start the ski again. Is there a way to see if it is a code to determine a bad sensor like on a car?

There was also one instance when I was riding it that it suddenly felt sluggish and it only reved to between 7-7500 rpm. I brought it in to shore, looked everything over and then took it back out five minutes later and it was back to normal.

My buddy told me that he noticed an 'excessive' amount of smoke coming out of the back of the ski while it was acting up. I dont know how much to make of the smoke because its a new exhaust.. but it shouldnt have smoked 'excessively'. I did notice smoke.. but it was colorless and smelled like the typical new exhaust-burning smell. I dont think its related to anything else.. but the fact that he mentioned it made me think for a second about it.

Any ideas? Since the problem didnt persist, Im just going to assume that something may have been sucked into the pump.. or perhaps its old gas. The gas that is in it was leftover from when we bought it so who knows. If it were a two stroke it might be related to bad plugs but thats less likely on a 4 stroke engine. I really dont know. Ill keep an eye on it but it doubt its anything to sweat.
    Im just happy nothing leaks and it runs strong. Everything else, tuning and etc is secondary at this point.

Banned User
    +1
    With the key on, but not started, press the set button 5 times, it will display the error codes...

Good info. Thanks. So do you figure it's telling me I've got a bad sensor? It would seem that way obviously but why would it then go off? It also runs fine..

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    Good info. Thanks. So do you figure it's telling me I've got a bad sensor? It would seem that way obviously but why would it then go off? It also runs fine..
    While you were installing the parts, was the battery disconnected? Sometimes the ECU forgets things. A trip to the dealer and having the ski hooked up to BUDS fixes this.

Banned User
    +1
    When it was turned on, not even fired, at some point during your parts swap...and it saw something that was missing, it recorded a code.

Unfortunately you have to have a dealer turn it off in BUDS...

+1
    Twelves,

That can be the damn compass feature screwing up as well. Have had it happen on several of my 4Tec skis.

DWT

Banned User
    When you say you could smell the smoke, what did it smell like? Burning oil or steam

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    With the key on, but not started, press the set button 5 times, it will display the error codes...
    Wheres the set button?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    Ok. So I just finished the build on my significant other's RXP. We did an X charger, XS intercooler, injectors, rrfpr, riva exhaust, etc.

The maiden voyage was mostly a success. There are no fuel, boost, or water leaks. The ski hits 8150 rpm and pulls strong. I dont own a GPS so I cant tell you what speed it hit..

There are only two items that remain unknown/unsolved:

When you start the ski, the word "sensor" flashes on the screen and then goes away. It does not come back on until you start the ski again. Is there a way to see if there is a code to determine a bad sensor like on a car?

Sounds like to me it is the air temp sensor in the hood. It either came unhooked or is bad. You can run your ski without that temp sensor with no problem.

I do not have a air temp sensor on my rxp and it will flash "sensor" when installing the lanyard and then stop.

There was also one instance when I was riding it that it suddenly felt sluggish and it only reved to between 7-7500 rpm. I brought it in to shore, looked everything over and then took it back out five minutes later and it was back to normal. My buddy told me that he noticed an excessive amount of smoke coming out of the back of the ski while it was acting up. I dont know how much to make of the smoke because its a new exhaust.. but it shouldnt have smoked 'excessively'. I thought I noticed the smoke as well and smelled it. It did not act up again for the rest of the day.

Any ideas?
    Be sure your slip is good on sc, possibly had some old gas,

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr800 View Post
    Wheres the set button?
    '06 and newer ski's don't have that button

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information