2000 Genesis FFI Leaky Fuel Injector

Hi.

Our local marina has diagnosed my 2000 Genesis FFI as having a badly leaking fuel injector. However, they won't touch it, say they're not set up for repairing it. I can't find any other marina around here to fix it either, but I have a friend that would be able to fix it if I had parts. I'm wondering if any of you good people might be able to either point me in the direction of a place I could get parts for this - specifically the fuel injector and gasket kit - or some place in Southeastern Wisconsin that might be willing to actually work on it.

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click here for Polaris Service Manuals, Parts Manuals, and other useful info.

Where exactly is it leaking?

Is it leaking fuel from the fuel hose connections, or blackish ooze around the base of the injector?

Is it only one injector that is leaking?

There is no seal or gasket between the Ficht fuel injector and the cylinder head. Instead, the injector is pressed against the cylinder head by the mounting bracket.

Inside the top of the mounting bracket is a large O-ring, which is compressed onto the top of the injector body when the bracket is torqued down.

If this O-ring is missing or out of position, the injector will not seal to the cylinder head, and will leak combustion products around the base of the injector (typically a black ooze).

It can also leak there if the injector mounting is not torqued down evenly. Make sure the large O-ring is in place on top of each injector.

If the injector bolts are over-tightened, that can crack the injector body, and cause it to leak fuel.

To inspect the injector, just remove the two mounting bolts. Undo them evenly.

Put a cloth over the Schrader pressure test valve in the return fuel line, and release any pressure in the fuel system.

Lift the mounting bracket off the injector, while holding the injector in place. Now you can lift the injector up. To remove the fuel lines, just wiggle them out of the fuel injector body.

Be careful not to bump the tip of the injector against the cylinder head. It is a high precision poppet valve, and you don't want to damage it.

The cylinder head hole for the injector should be smooth, without nicks or damage. Wipe it clean. The injector tip should also be undamaged.

You can clean the tip with solvent and a clean cloth. Do not use any form of abrasives, sandpaper, or rough handling on the injector tip.

Once you have found and fixed the problem, be sure to use Blue Loctite 242 and torque to spec. Do not over tighten, and torque the bolt pairs evenly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5578%5C5578c004.gif 
Views:	144 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	133556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7290696.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	133557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7290695.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	133558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010792.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	133559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7290693.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	133561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7230571.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	133562  

Wow! Thanks for the incredibly detailed information!

According to the marina, only one was leaking, but they weren't specific about where. I don't see any blackish ooze, but I'll inspect more closely. Using these instructions, we'll take a look at it this weekend. Thanks much, and I hope I have something positive to post back.

Hi again.

We took it apart this weekend, and found some problems with the fuel system. I'm not sure that the injectors are actually leaking, so we are going to fix what we know is wrong with it. The fuel is leaking from the connections on the first injector (where the fuel lines are attached to the injector). We will need several parts that we identified in the parts manual (we're going to replace the o-rings on the fuel injector fittings, and the clamps holding the hoses onto the fittings). We would also like to purchase the O-Rings you mention at the top of the injectors inside the mounting bracket, but can't find that part in the manual. Do you know where I could get three of those?

Thanks again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcT View Post
    ...The fuel is leaking from the connections on the first injector (where the fuel lines are attached to the injector).

We will need several parts that we identified in the parts manual (we're going to replace the o-rings on the fuel injector fittings, and the clamps holding the hoses onto the fittings).

We would also like to purchase the O-Rings you mention at the top of the injectors inside the mounting bracket, but can't find that part in the manual. Do you know where I could get three of those?...
    Those o-rings may be considered part of the injector brackets for the pre-2003 models
    Are your o-rings missing?

The 2000 Genesis injector bracket is
    Polaris PN 1202086
    ASM-PDS CAP,OMC 5001829

For the 2003-2004 MSX 140 and Genesis, the O-ring is listed separately as PN 5412393, and the injector bracket is PN 5247092.

The 2004 MSX 140 bracket is PN 5247336. This is the shiny version

The 5412393 O-rings are listed for $3 each from Babbitts.

I just noticed that the injector for 2002-2004 (excluding Genesis and Virage TXi) is PN 1253375, which is different from the 2000-2002 Genesis, Virage TXi PN 1253349 (INJECTOR-DFI Substituted by 2201875).

I don't think that affects the O-ring fitment

You MAY also be able to get them from a former OMC dealer (now part of Evinrude outboard, which is owned by Sea-Doo).

Or you can measure one of the old ones, and figure out what standard O-ring size is close to that. I don't think the size is super critical. It just needs to compress and apply some pressure to the injector to keep it sealed to the cylinder head.

If used O-rings would be OK, you can try contacting the guys in the Polaris Classifieds who are parting out fuel injected machines. The O-rings are the same for all models and years, as far as I know.

The MSX 140 brackets are shiny metal instead of painted black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	134787  

Hi again,

Your help has been invaluable. Thanks. We are having success with the parts I ordered. However, we'd like to replace a length of fuel line, but babbits didn't have it, and I can't seem to find the same stuff that's on there. What's existing is double jacketed and says TEMPO SAEJ1527 R1-USCF Type B1 CE-ISO8469-3587 Size 6.4mm. Is there a suitable replacement for this fuel line, or can I just go our local powersports store and buy whatever 1/4 line they have in stock that they use for repairs?

Thanks again for any help anyone has to offer.

+1
    ... What's existing is double jacketed and says TEMPO SAEJ1527 R1-USCF Type B1 CE-ISO8469-3587 Size 6.4mm.

Is there a suitable replacement for this fuel line, or can I just go our local powersports store and buy whatever 1/4 line they have in stock that they use for repairs?...
    Any 1/4" fuel line that can handle over 30 PSI should be OK.

Keep in mind that the tee for the schrader valve is actually 5/16", so the fuel line must be able to slide over that without splitting.

I think some guys have had good experience with http://fuellines.biz/
    I have not used them, and haven't looked closely at whether the fuel line would work well on a Ficht machine.

And use good quality hose clamps, like the Oetiker Ear clamps. Do not use nylon zip ties.

I don't like using gear clamps for fuel injection hoses, since the 20-30PSI pressures are much higher than the few PSI of a carb'ed engine. And there is engine vibration. Gear clamps tend to squeeze the hose unevenly, and you do not want any fuel seepage or leaks inside a PWC hull.

Look at this page for more info on the hose clamps;
    Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Keep in mind that these clamps are sized for the outside diameter of the hose, not the inside diameter.

While you are working with the fuel lines, be sure to add the abrasion protection, which is covered here;
    Ficht fuel injected engines; fuel hose abrasion at injectors, possible fuel leak

This page is also worth reading, and this page

First, thanks so much for all the help. The detailed links, information, and advice is much more than I expected.

Last weekend we put the fuel injector back on. The manual torque spec was 22 ft/lb, but we couldn't comforably get it past 16. Checking the other ones revealed that they weren't any more than 16, either. What kind of impact might it have if I leave it at 16, and is the spec maybe wrong?

Thanks much for any answers you might have.

-Marc

+1

Arrow Fuel injector installation, torque

... Last weekend we put the fuel injector back on. The manual torque spec was 22 ft/lb, but we couldn't comfortably get it past 16.

Checking the other ones revealed that they weren't any more than 16, either.

What kind of impact might it have if I leave it at 16, and is the spec maybe wrong?...
    The 1999 and 2000 manuals both say 22ft-lbs for the injector bolts, while the 2001, 2002, 2003 service manuals all say 18ft-lbs

Injector PN 1253349 was used for 2000-2002, with the 2201875 superseding it.

It appears that Polaris revised the Fuel Injector torque spec downward from 22ft-lbs to 18ft-lbs, for the same injector and cylinder head part numbers.

One of the causes of injector failure is over-torquing or incorrectly torquing the injector bolts, which can crack the plastic injector body.

So I would think your injectors are just fine at 16ft-lbs.

The important things are that the injector not be off angle in the head, the fat O-ring is in place on top, and that the injector bolts are torqued in several stages, evenly on both sides.

If the injectors are not binding in the cylinder head cavity, and you are not seeing any blackish combustion residue seeping out from under the injector, then the injectors are probably OK.

There should also be zero fuel leakage at the injectors, or anywhere else in the system, of course

Thank you very much for all of the help. The detail of knowledge and swiftness of the replies are fantastic. I got the ski out Monday, and there is no leakage at all anymore, thanks to the advice and guidance I got here. I did still have a few problems with it, which I posted about here:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...68#post1143968

If there are any suggestions on where to go from that point, I'd appreciate it. I do plan on having the fuel lines replaced because they are still the tempo lines. Could that have anything to do with my problems running the machine described in my linked post?

Thanks!

Thread Information