Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP!! hot stall problem

97 1100zxi took it out for the first time sunday and ran great for 30 minutes then started stalling on decel unless you would feather the throttle and when it would stall it was very hard to restart and had to choke it to finally get it to fire. Took it home and replaced fuel filter and checked lines which seemed ok and it started instantly (started fine also before I did anything to it). Took it back to the lake and again ran great for 30-40 minutes then same symptoms so I changed the carbs because I had another set but this changed nothing it would just crank and crank without firing but if I gave it a shot of starting fluid it would fire right back up and idle ok so I shut it off and again would not fire without priming or choking. My big problem is that it is an hour each way to the lake and when the ski cools down it always starts fine but it doesn't show signs of overheating it just seems like a fuel issue which I can't duplicate at home. Is it possible that this could be a reed valve issue that needs somne heat in them before they act up?

+1
    reeds are more general performance. or back firing, gurgling fuel up into flame arrestors.

30 min or riding will get everything up to temp. What changes?
    1) metal expands
    seal leak
    compression? this could also cause weak fuel delivery if the cylinder effected is pulse related

broken wire/stator failure

2) electrical

thanks for the reply I'm headed back to the lake saturday and I'll take a compression gauge with me to check it hot. On the stator issue are you thinking that I might have weak spark? It cranks over and sounds normal cranking but will not fire but if I give it a shot of starting fluid it instantly starts. It will start if it is fully choked and cranked alot. I have an extra stator so I will also take that along. I just realized that these carbs have an accelerator pump that squirts fuel down right below the choke plates when it acts up again I will see if I have fuel there. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

+1
    ok,

go to the ace hardware and get a flexible shaft led flashlight (really msmall0 will fit in the spark plug hole. (should had silver spots at the port locations) check to see what your wash looks like Check and see if when your ski bogs down does pulling out the choke a little help/hurt

are your carbs keihin cvkII

when it is acting up yes pulling the choke out does seem to help. both sets of carbs are keihins. I just pulled the plugs in it ( center electrodes are very dark as is the outer portion of the plug but down inside plug looks clean and outer electrodes are all slightly brown) I don't really have anything here to see inside cylinders tonight but will bring home bendalight and a boroscope tomorrow. Am I looking at piston or cylinder walls? I assume you want me to inspect wash from intake port? Reread your post and not sure if my keihins are cvkII (?) the outer 2 have fuel pumps built onto them then there is a mostly external accelerator pump that has a small hose routed to each carb that squirts in just below the choke plates. Something I just thought of was I did just convert it to premix and I removed the oil lines from the carbs and put a small plug on each port.

+1
    IF YOU GET POWER BY PULLING CHOKE YOU ARE STAVING YOUR ENGINE OF FUEL. EITHER AIR LEAK OR CARB ISSUE

GREAT PISTON WASH THREAD

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ht=piston+wash

+1
    Since it takes a while for it to act up, I would be suspicious of the fuel tank vent.

When it was acting up I did remove the gas cap and that didn't help. I did inspect for piston wash and it looks good when I compare it to some inthe pictures on the link mentioned (1/4 to 1/2 inch pretty much all around piston edge) Is there any way that this could vapor lock? I can't be sure that this fuel in it now might be ethanol blend (10%).

+1
    did you check hot compression? If the pulse cylinder (in mine its the PTO) is low, you will get poor fuel pump action. hence starving your engine of fuel

ethanol blend would (IMHO) just give you studdering and sluggish performance.

Taking it out today. The cold compression is 120 psi on all three cylinders. I swapped back to the original carbs and backed out the adjustment screws 1/4 turn. Also pulled the vent hose down and installed new hose. There is a cheked valve on the fuel tank that only allows vent air to go in. I have my compression gauge and a vacuum/ pressure gauge along to check the fuel pumps pulse. Seobin, my carbs have 2 fuel pumps one on each end carb and seperate pulse lines to each carb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information