Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    2x 2004 Seadoo RXP. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. wisconsin_quat's Avatar

Coast Guard found our RXP, 27 miles away from where it capsized... washed up ashore

So in follow up to http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93693

My friend is ok, his lungs were 30% filled up w sea water...

I was shocked that the coast guard found our RXP washed ashore 27 miles away from where my friend had the accident. It had literally drifted under the surface of the water 27 miles in ~24 hours.

lesson learned.

We lost it Friday @ 4pm, loaded it on the trailer saturday 10pm. We just got back home last night, Tuesday morning at 4am.

The ski apparently had filled up with water. I'm not sure if it was completely submerged. We were able to pressure wash it inside and out on Sunday morning. Sprayed everything in the hull with WD40 as well. The oil level wasn't registering on the dip stick. The guy who pulled it to shore said that it smelled like gas.

I really wanted to pull the plugs and crank it sunday but the seadoo tool kit spark plug tool striped so i wasn't able to pull the plugs. I did flush it. Figured it can't hurt since i would need to pull the plugs anyway when i got home, and there was salt water in there.

Tonight after work (in 3:36 hours woo hoo) I plan on pulling the plugs, sucking the oil out, cranking it, fog cylinders w WD40 through spark plug holes. I would really like to add new oil in, especially if i don't find any water in the motor, then try to start it. I am concerned that there is water in the gas tank but the level of gas in there is consistent to what it was when the ski capsized... am i pretty much right on track with this plan or should i drain the gas as well?

it would be highly unlikely that there was no water in the engine if it was submerged for 24 hrs. since it will happen if only partially submerged 5 minutes. I would assume there was water in the fuel tank too.

Banned User
    You REALLY need to get the water out of the cylinders..Just use a spark plug socket out of any socket set, then use your plug wire to get the plugs out of the hole..

Good luck!

2x 2004 Seadoo RXP. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. wisconsin_quat's Avatar
    i'm ok with changing the oil and pulling the plugs, but draining 13 gallons or so of fuel should be fun... is there an easy way to do this?

what else do i need to do if anything else aside from:

- pull plugs, crank.
    - change oil
    - drain gas tank
    - power wash and spray w wd40 or corrosion resistant

+1
    It may to too late the ski has been sitting in salt water for four days. You need to get the water out of the engine, exhaust, and intake ASAP.

There will be water in the intake pull supercharger hose off to the throttle body before you try tio start it.

lets see some pics of this thing. I cant believe that the hull isnt damaged severely if it washed up on shore after a storm.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    It may to too late the ski has been sitting in salt water for four days. You need to get the water out of the engine, exhaust, and intake ASAP.
    salt water inside engine for four days = game over.

I would think that there is a good chance the crank is shot. no?

+1
    To check for water in the fuel tank pull the black fuel line that is going to the fuel rail and put it in a gatorade or any other clear bottle. Put the key on the dess post and let the fuel pump cycle. It will do this for 5 seconds and pump fuel into the bottle. Once done pull the hose and put the bottle down and wait 30-45 seconds. If there is a water in the fuel you will see it very clearly as they seperate. If this happens to be the case then you need to drain the fuel tank. To do this just repeat what you just did but use some big buckets... I used them big 5 gallon water jugs. Do this over and over until its only fuel coming out. Remember water is heavier then fuel and will settle to the bottom of the tank... so the water would come out 1st.

You need to pull your plugs out and get all the water out of your engine with a oil vacum pump. If you see water on top of the cyclnders then see if you can suck that out too. Also dont forget to pull the oil filter and change it. Like Mitch said you need to pull your intake manifold out and dry it out... or at least pull the stock IC out and stick a rag in there and get all the water out of it. The SC will need to be drained and most likely the waterbox/jpipe/exhaust manifold needs drained too.

If you act quickly you might just be able to save the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    from my experience if it goes from being full of water for a few days to dried out and oiled down in a short period of time it might be OK, sitting wet and exposed to air is what gets them. I did a 97 XP that the owner had back the trailer in the water to switch ski's from one trailer to the other, he left the XP strapped on the trailer in the water with the drainplugs out long enough that it filled the motor with water. It had water in it for over 2 weeks before I was to put a starter on it because it wouldn't spin over, it's still going 5 years later. I've known of cars pulled out of an old mine near where I live that had been in the water for weeks, they drained the water out and immediately fill the motors completely full of diesel fuel before it starts rusting. My buddy kept one that had a Buick V-6 and put over 100k more miles on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information