Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ultra LX vs STX 15F

I've currently got a 2000 Yamaha GP1200R and I'm looking to buy a new ski. I enjoy cruising and I ride frequently on the Hudson River, and I participate in some of the group rides (Shipbottom, NJ, NYC). No racing for me. I'm looking at the Kawasaki Ultra LX and STX-15F. Kawasaki is offering the 2008 Ultra for $8099, and the 2009 STX for $8399. For a point of reference, the 2009 Ultra LX is $10,099, which is above my price range. I'm leaning towards last year's Ultra but I am weighing all pros and cons, and since I'm a member of this site I thought I would get some personal opinions. Thanks in advance!

+1
    First off I think you can do better on price. Perhaps an 07' or 08' STX F15.
    They should be under $7,000. The Ultra LX is a more expensive and newly designed machine. You'll get more performance and top speed out the STX however the Ultra would be an excellent choice just not quite as agile or sporty. The Ultra will be a much better cruiser with a better ride and much more storage space.

More will chime in I'm sure but keep reading around on here.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by dmk View Post
    First off I think you can do better on price. Perhaps an 07' or 08' STX F15.
    They should be under $7,000. The Ultra LX is a more expensive and newly designed machine. You'll get more performance and top speed out the STX however the Ultra would be an excellent choice just not quite as agile or sporty. The Ultra will be a much better cruiser with a better ride and much more storage space.

More will chime in I'm sure but keep reading around on here.

Good luck and let us know what you do.
    Thanks for the quick reply! The other thing I didn't mention is I'm not too adept at working on skis, so that was part of my consideration in getting a new one that had a service warranty.

+1
    The LX will be a few miles an hour slower but be the better cruiser. They are just about the same in my opinion and you won't be dissapointed in either but the LX will probably cruise in group rides better. My 15f can be rough in 1 - 2 foot chop at medium speeds because of the flat bottom. They changed the bottom for the Ultra models.

i got my 08 stx 15 for $5700 otd,..$5200+++, new demo with 15 hrs

I love my ultras and iam sure you could ask many people on these forums on how awesome their ultras are. If you can spend the extra few bucks to get a deal on a 08 ultra250. IMO i dont see a point in getting the LX, if your looking at the stxr. The LX is slower and Youll get the ride the hudson in style, with a ultra250. But if you werent in the market for a ultra go with the stxr, becuase there is crazy deals too for the stxr, just make sure you shop around your local area and have dealers compete for prices to get the price you want, thats what i did.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu_Boost View Post
    I love my ultras and iam sure you could ask many people on these forums on how awesome their ultras are. If you can spend the extra few bucks to get a deal on a 08 ultra250. IMO i dont see a point in getting the LX, if your looking at the stxr. The LX is slower and Youll get the ride the hudson in style, with a ultra250. But if you werent in the market for a ultra go with the stxr, becuase there is crazy deals too for the stxr, just make sure you shop around your local area and have dealers compete for prices to get the price you want, thats what i did.
    Unless you want to cruise more than 60 miles per tank full. That is about all you will get out of either one of those. Speed is great but to go a little faster at twice the fuel isn't worth it.

IMO, go for the Ultra LX. I have one and love it...I bought it for cruising, skiing and tubing...it does it all with power to spare. I've taken it out in 2' chop in nantucket sound with no problem at all...tons of storage too which is important to me...Bullet proof motor. Good luck but you won't be disappointed with the Ultra LX!

Quote Originally Posted by TBonesUltraLX View Post
    IMO, go for the Ultra LX. I have one and love it...I bought it for cruising, skiing and tubing...it does it all with power to spare. I've taken it out in 2' chop in nantucket sound with no problem at all...tons of storage too which is important to me...Bullet proof motor. Good luck but you won't be disappointed with the Ultra LX!
    Agree with TBone.

Quote Originally Posted by DW250X View Post
    Agree with TBone.
    I was leaning towards the Ultra for multiple reasons, including the better pricing. In talking with a couple of people I know outside of Green Hulk, they mentioned that the larger ski might not be as fun to ride as a smaller one. Anyone have any comments on that? Also, the Kawi sale ends this weekend so I have to make up my mind soon, which is why I'm trying to gather as many opinions and personal experiences as possible.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information