Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PWCs and towables

This may not be the right place for this question (if not feel free to move it mods).

My girlfriend wants to get some sort of towable to pull behind one of the skis. Just a smallish 60" or so tube. Skis are Kawasaki ZXI 1100s. I know some places don't allow two seaters to pull tubes around, but the area we run in is only patrolled occasionally (honestly most weekends not at all), and law enforcement doesn't really seem to stop anybody even if they are out. Not a scoff law and fully intend to have a rider/flagger when pulling towables (although many I've seen don't even do that).

Anyway long and short of it is do any of you guys pull them, and if so, how is it?

Thanks.

P.S. I'd pull it behind the boat, but it seems that either the boat is cruising around with the bow up in the air and working way harder than it should, or the pull is way way too fast to be enjoyable especially by the little guy.

I pull friends/family on my tube all the time.Very easy to manuver.

But,you really need to be careful because the ski is so easy to turn it sends the tube flying.
    Stay far away from other boats until you get used to it.Safety first means lots of FUN

Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar
    Check with your state's water patrol. Missouri's (my state's) boating manual doesn't address the issue, so I e-mailed the MWP and they told me that towing any number of people with a 2-seater is fine in my state; there is no requirement that the towboat have capacity for the tow-ee(s). I know that's not the case in neighboring states (KS, AR).

Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar
    And, if it were not for towing, our GTS would get boring fast.

I used to pull two single rider tubes behind my Virage last year. It was a blast letting the riders bounce off of each other. I now have an Ultra 150 and will try it with her this year.

I also used to have a SL 780 which I added a tow hook just below the grab handle with a plate on the inside of the engine compartment. It helped lift the rope out of the water when pulling a tube. The higher the rope can be lifted out ot the water the better as the riders will get alot of spray from the rope.

I added a tow hook to a 750 ZXI which works well, adding a plate on the inside of the hull keeps from ripping the hook off.

I have noticed on a couple of different ski's I have owned that the Kawasaki 750's be it an XI SS or a ZXI, they pull like a mule with a tube which is good but the tube can spin the back end around in a tight turn.

Watch out for the rope, do not drive over it or you will have a mess in your pump.

just be careful not to put too much strain on the motor... it will be shooting up higher than normal rpms with not as much water flow... and can result in either hydro locking or overheating... some one else a couple months back asked about this...

good question though

its not entirely dangerous... like i said just dont strain your motor.. =) and everthing should be ok

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated. I was a little concerned as to how it would do and if it was even capable of pulling the load. Both skis have aftermarket sponsons on them so shouldn't be bad as far as sliding out on the side load. Could be interesting if turned too sharp though as they tend to load hard and turn sharper than the rider intends if not careful.

Also good information on the hookup to the ski (backing plate is a great idea).

Most of our towing would be done on off weekends (non-holidays). Typically that means we would have our section of the river pretty much to ourselves (no exaggeration). Low to no traffic on off weekends.

Although new to PWCs, I've boated since I was 9 years old and have made it this far (51 now) without incident. I usually error to the side of caution, but thanks for the reminder. Expect the unexpected I always say.

My other jet is just a bit much for pulling little kids around on towables LOL.

ahhh cmon.... just let em have their fun HAHAHA!

+1
    Just what ever you do dont run over the rope (speaking from experience) n also iv towed tubes/ wakeboarders n evrything but jus be careful u dnt send the tube flyin on turns as a ski is A LOT more maneveurable than a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinpolak View Post
    ahhh cmon.... just let em have their fun HAHAHA!
    Not sure how much fun it would be for a seven year old.

Quote Originally Posted by seadooridah View Post
    Just what ever you do dont run over the rope (speaking from experience) n also iv towed tubes/ wakeboarders n evrything but jus be careful u dnt send the tube flyin on turns as a ski is A LOT more maneveurable than a boat.
    Believe it or not running over a rope even with 650 horsepower is just as debilitating to the larger cousin pictured above. It disrupts the flow of water into the pump causing cavitation and if left on the shaft long enough will totally put a wear on it and end up hosing it. Although I don't pull 7 year olds on tubes behind it, I do slalom ski behind it on a regular basis consequently used to knowing where my rope is at all times.

Thanks for the tip on the cornering thing. Although I haven't tried it yet, I could see where it could/would happen.

Once again........really appreciate the input here.
    Last edited by Squirtcha?; 07-06-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information