Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

98 XPL hesitates?!?

OK so for the last week my ski's been running great, even with the little bit of left over fuel in it from last season. I took it to the shore this weekend to ride and the first day it ran good with a fresh fuel tank of gas. The second day I put another 5 gallons in and it ran good for alittle then started to hesitate. The engine only has 34 hours on it since last rebuild, so I called a shop in OCMD and they suggested it might be the ethonal in the fuel in Virgina where I was, but I cant see it causing noticable problems in the matter of a day?

Any ideas guys?

Try to describe the hesitation, what RPM are you at when it hesitates? How long does it do it until it clears out? Do you still have the gray fuel lines? Does it do it coming out of a no wake zone? It could be either lean or loading up which is why I ask to help send you in the right direction.

I was on my way out to a private beach and on the way out it ran fine but when I left to head back in it would hesitate through the whole rpm range? Felt like it wasn't really isolated to just one rpm range, also sometimes when I shut it off and go to start it would just crank over, then if I let it set for alittle and go to start it would fire right up? Fuel lines have been replaced, it's wierd it's ran fine for the last week or so then just yesterday it started acting up. Would new fuel filter and sparks help?

+1
    new plugs would be the first thing. how do the plugs look? if they are black and oily, they are probably fouled.

Quote Originally Posted by turboteg95 View Post
    OK so for the last week my ski's been running great, even with the little bit of left over fuel in it from last season. I took it to the shore this weekend to ride and the first day it ran good with a fresh fuel tank of gas. The second day I put another 5 gallons in and it ran good for alittle then started to hesitate. The engine only has 34 hours on it since last rebuild, so I called a shop in OCMD and they suggested it might be the ethonal in the fuel in Virgina where I was, but I cant see it causing noticable problems in the matter of a day?

Any ideas guys?
    Were the carbs rebuilt the same time the engine was?

yes carbs were rebuilt when motor was along with a miller head install, I really noticed this happening after I had just put 5 gallons of fuel in along with a 40:1 mix.

Quote Originally Posted by turboteg95 View Post
    yes carbs were rebuilt when motor was along with a miller head install, I really noticed this happening after I had just put 5 gallons of fuel in along with a 40:1 mix.
    Change the plugs, clip the wires a 1/4 inch, check all connections for corrotion, make sure the battery is 100%.other than that, i don't know what else to tell you with the info you gave us.

The only thing that troubles me, is you have an aftermarket head...i know nothing about mods on a basically stock ski.

I'll try new plugs and see if it solves my problem. Would running a higher oil mixture cause plugs to foul quicker? I think the previous owner ran a 32:1 mixture, I mixed 40:1 just to be safe. Do those ratios differ that much?

Absolutely more oil will foul plugs quicker. Thats the big difference with the variable oil injection, at idle it only send like 200:1 and WOT is like 40:1. You will load up big time when no on the throttle. The starting thing, I don't know. My friends GTX is exactly the same except we tried new plugs and nothing. I am really leaning towards the fuel as we got it at the marina. When I isolate that problem it'll be one for the memory bank. Deffinitally try to clip the wire's. Also, are you running pre-mix oil or regular 2 stroke that you are pre-mixxing? It makes a big difference too as it can clog up the jets and accelerater pump nozzles in these. Pre-mix oil is thinner that injection type.

oil injection was removed so I'm pre-mixing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information