Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

will rev on lift but not in water

ok I drained all the old fuel out and replaced it with 91 octane I think the problem got worse because now it will idle but when it is given any gas at all it will stall. I pulled the brand new plugs once again and with both the plugs out neither one of them sparked when I turned the motor over, but if you put them back into the engine it will start right up on the very first try. any suggesions? I am very confused
    Last edited by puffinbarger; 06-01-2009 at 11:26 AM.

What boat,year, motor? How long did the boat sit w/ old gas? Probably needs the carb(s) cleaned.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The spark plugs need to be solidly touching the engine block (bare metal) in order to spark. They will not spark in free air.

If this is a two cylinder engine, both spark plugs must be connected to their plug wires, and grounded to the engine, in order to have spark.

it is a 98 Polaris SLTH 700 I bought it 3 days ago it was running great it had a half tank of fresh gas in it, when that ran out I put 87 octane in it and immediatly is started running like crap so I changed the plugs with not change I drained all the old fuel and put 91 octane in it and now it will only idle. It is in the water and as soon as you hit the throttle it wan't to die like it is flooding so I pulled the plugs both out and hit the ignition neither one of the plugs are sparking but after putting them back into the engine it fires up on the first try. The shop I bought it from said that the carbs had just been cleaned. So ??????

ok that makes sense so do you think the engine is simply being flooded out when given gas? I have not messed with the tuning on the carbs at all. and it was running fine before.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Why are there two threads discussing the same machine, and the same problem?

Lets keep all the info in one place. It makes it easier for us to see what others have said, and not repeat ourselves unnecessarily.
    Last edited by K447; 05-27-2009 at 10:16 PM.

+1
    2 stroke engines love gas.Usually if it boggs or dies when trying it give it gas,it is lean (or not enough gas)
    Does your model have an accelerator pump? Either read the service manual ,it will describe it ,or post a picture of your carbs.

ok if this is the case then what should I do next try adjusting the carbs ? or is it maybe a fuel filter issue the weird thing is that this problem happened after getting gas and slowly got worse over a period of a couple days to the point now where it will only idle. is it possible I have a hole in a piston? wouldn't that make a lot of weird noise this is very aggravating because I have only owned it a few days. Could this have anything to do with "limp mode" or do you think I have other problems. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Do any of you know if heet the water remover for engines will hurt the polaris motor. I talked to a guy at a shop here and he suggested there was water in the carbs....

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Most fuel pick-ups pick up from 2/3 down for run, bottom for reserve. Water will sink to the bottom and be picked up when you run reserve.
    I do not think running any ski out of gas is a good idea, if thats indeed what you did. When it gets low, fill 'er up.
    You may have picked up something if this is what you did. This definately sounds like a fuel delivery prob.
    Go thru your whole fuel system. Water will not "sit" or be trapped in the carbs as they have no float bowl.
    You dont want to run 91 in your ski unless you have higher than stock compression.
    1. Check compression.
    2. Go thru entire fuel system & clean. Carbs and all.
    3. Get all fuel out of tank and re-fill with fresh. Its always good to use fuel stabilizer towards the end of the season.
    4. Heet will not hurt your engine, but if there is water in your fuel, you need to find out why, unless the previous owner just put some "wet" gas in it. Heet will sometimes allow small amounts of water to be dispersed, but not any large amounts by volume.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information