Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Amsoil at 50:1 ?

Ok I just returned from 3 days of riding and went thru 3 gallons of amsoil 2 stroke oil at 40:1 and a small tanker truck of gas (93 octane - ouch!). So now that I have an intimate relationship with amsoil gallon jug I noticed that the back label says to run at 50:1. Would 50:1 be safe? or is the tiny savings not worth the risk?
    Doug

Maybe someone will chime in about amsoil, but I run the yamaha synthetic at 32:1 I think the stock oil injection is right at 30:1 at full throttle.

I would think it would fine at 50:1 but I'd rather be safe and not chance it

+1
    When I bought my GP the guy ran amsoil at 50:1 and highly recommended it saud motor will be clean inside I could never find any so I ran Maxima castor three bottles I pulled the head recently and the domes were spotless if I could get a hold of the amsoil I would run it.

OsideBill

+1
    I have ran 40:1 and 32:1....depends on my mood I guess

But I have mostly ran 32:1 becasue the stock injection pump is set at 32:1 are W.O.T. and I feel better to see lubrication at that rate.

But, I have ran at 40:1 alot and didn't see any issues either.

I ran 40:1 all weekend at Mudbug thru 3 tanks of gas.

But to answer your question........I personally would not run the 50:1.
    I'm sure it may be fine due to the superior lubrication properties of AMsoil.
    &
    I know it may say it on the bottle, but I'd rather run closer to the lubrication spec that the OEM pump is. 40:1 or 32:1

+1
    i go 40:1

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    I run 32:1 "cause Harry (GROUP K) TOLD me to. He said the BB's like oil. I would like to run leaner. just because I don't like the little smoke. but HARRY told me so.
    I run pennziol senthick in all my skis and my 800 has 140+ hours on it and never did a darn thing to it.
    My 1200 had 97 hours on it when I went BB and It was clean. and you could still see the hone from the factory.

+1
    Another thing I like about oil injection. At low rpms and part throttle operation, the ratio is a lot higher, meaning LESS OIL is burned. At WOT you get all they give.

It's wild to see my old stock gp12r go through a gallon of oil.... once a month, while my triple piper without oil injection just drink the oil.

Gas consumption is worse, obviously, on the tp, but not enough to justify the oil usage.

+1
    Just thinking out loud here - A 50:1 premix at WOT would actually make it "rich" (more gas)/safer from detonation and lean seizure. Just trying to see if my understanding of things "2 stroke" are correct.

+1
    If you are talking PREMIX, or even mix inside the carb jet housing like some keihens do, then YES you are correct. If you are talking injection through a fitting on the side of the carb, or intake, then it's pretty much dependant on the Oil Injection Pump, versus RPM.

However, remember that the higher the RPM, the FASTER the oil gets scrubbed back off the wall by the rings. Soooo, if you go too low on the oil, then you could dry off a wall...and that's bad. If you run too much oil, and your setup runs close to the hairy edge, then you could run lean, and that's bad too.

TRIPLE PIPES ARE 2-STROKE TURBOS allcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoad
    Just thinking out loud here - A 50:1 premix at WOT would actually make it "rich" (more gas)/safer from detonation and lean seizure. Just trying to see if my understanding of things "2 stroke" are correct.
    You are correct!

One should always choose their oil ratio, jet for it and stick with it.
    When changing oil ratio from 32/1 to 40/1 that is a 20% difference. This will change afr and egt slightly. Enough that your mixture screws should be adjusted again for top rpm @ wot.

I agree Mark, oil injection is good stuff. Oil usage is lots less than premix, not to mention the hassle of doing proper premixing in gas jugs.

Imo modern day variable rate oil injection is plenty good enough and dependable enough for all single pipers turning under 7400rpm. Especially if your running top quality synthetics like amsoil.

My triple pipe gpr(7900+rpm) kept its oil injection even though Riva said it couldn’t be done. Had 80 hours on it before I sold it. My Polaris pro785 had 172hours on its triple pipe variable rate oil injected motor when I sold it.
    Had lots of hi power sleds with oil injection, I never had a problem with it.

The only time I saw a problem with oil injection was when a buddy of mine took off his carbs and when he reinstalled them he did not cut the oil lines end off so a new part of the tube would slide over the nipples on the carbs. After a couple of times the oil lines didn’t fit tight anymore and one came off, causing havoc in that cly.
    Attention to detail goes a long way in motor sports!
    Jmho
    allcool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information