Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation 2000 XL1200 Ltd Trouble - Please Help!!

This is also posted on PWCforum.com and I am posting here hoping someone may read it who can help.

I purchased an XL1200 from a good friend of mine a couple weekends ago. The ski was in great shape and had 29 hours on it. He charged the battery for me and I took it out the weekend I got it. After riding it hard and doing several quick turns, we pulled the ski out and cleaned it. I noticed the was a little water in the bottom of the hull. Not really a concern since I was leaning the ski over and water was sloshing of the nose from time to time. But the ski was running great no problems.
    A week later, this Memorial weekend, I took the ski to the lake. Put the ski in Friday and everything was fine. Saturday morning I took it out and took some family friends' kids tubing. The ski struggled with the tube and two kids and a spotter but it did the job. We didn't go above 25 mph. Everything was still fine. Well I took it for a ride Saturday evening before it got too dark and rode it spiritedly. Water over the nose like before and a boat load of fun...then I smelled something burning. I looked around me and at the ski but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I paid no attention to it until I smelled it again. It just didn't smell right. I thought it was just exhaust fumes from the motor but it just didn't make since so I pulled the ski out.

1st Issue:
    The next moring I popped the seats and looked in the hull. There was oil inside the ski. Now at first I thought it was the spare gallon of oil that I kept under the rear seat, but that wasn't able to leak into the hull. There was quite a bit of oil in the bottom of the ski. I have no idea where it could be coming from. I checked everything I could see from looking on top of the engine but I have no idea where to look underneath. There is no clear spray or leak point that I can see from just looking on top. Any ideas where to inspect or any pictures or diagrams that will show where the oil lines are and the path of the oil lines? Now I am mechanically inclined and followed the lines from the oil tank as best as I can and there is only so much I can get to.

2nd Issue:
    After rinsing out the hull of the ski to see if I could find a visual refence of where the oil was coming from I put the ski back in. At this time I decided to adjust the idle up just a little too. I filled it up and took her out across the lake. WOT she ran fine hitting 53 mph like before. Held at mid throttle was still fine. Did a couple of turns not so spiritedly like before and didn't smell the buring smell. Brought her back up to WOT to another side of the lake and at about 45 mph and hitting a choppy section the ski went completely dead. She just died and wouldn't start. The screen would say start but she wouldn't turn over. I waited a few minutes and tried again she started and wouldn't stay running. I started her again and gave a hair throttle and she ran. I gave her a little more throttle and she died. I started her again w/ hair throttle and then let her idle and she died. All this time I am still sitting across the lake. I pressed start button again and nothing. I heard the starter click but nothing. Waited a few minutes and tried again. She turned a couple of times and then would start again. So I waited 5 minutes. Tried again and she started so I gave a hair throttle and just putted across the lake. It took me about an hour to cross the lake from starting and stopping the whole way at hair throttle. I did try to grab other boats attention but people just waved at me. So at this point I just decided to give up and put her up for the vacation. Pulled her out and she started fine on land. Also there was more oil in the hull at this point too. Now the first thing I thought was battery. When I got back home yesterday the friend I bought it from checked the voltage and the battery was reading 11.8 volts. He also checked the compression and I believe he said it was 120, 118 & 112. He said the plug in 3 looked a little dry. I have no clue where else to look for this issue and I can't get stuck across the lake again with no help. Please Help! Also one must note, WaveEater clips and connectors are installed.

your oil injection line came off, you then went out again and cooked the engine.
    the oil line probably came off at the tank fitting.

simple

you now have a rebuild to do.

when oil leaks into the hull, it is not getting to the engine, a good time to stop riding it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    your oil injection line came off, you then went out again and cooked the engine.
    the oil line probably came off at the tank fitting.

simple

you now have a rebuild to do.

when oil leaks into the hull, it is not getting to the engine, a good time to stop riding it
    That was my first thought too but would the compression still be that high?
    I would pull the head to see what the pistons look like and pull the pipe to expose the oil lines.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    That was my first thought too but would the compression still be that high?
    I would pull the head to see what the pistons look like and pull the pipe to expose the oil lines.
    yeah I lost the pump off the front of a 66v motor last year, engine siezed. got home, turned over with comp tester and ran 120's +/- all 3.

bacause the rings hadnt welded and the piston had not "chunked" the comp was still ok, the bores were a different story lol

Well the feeling is that I probably ruined the 3rd cylinder but I won't know for sure until I break it down . So I am pre-imptively locating the parts I may need to tackle this rebuild.

Need recommendations and advice from you guys. Should I just do the cylinders that look bad or do all 3? Should I look at upgraded parts while I have the engine torn apart? (i.e. better pistons and sleeves) No inrease bore and no race mods just higher quality parts that will last longer.

From what I have read I need piston, sleeve and rings. I have no clue if the crank should be replaced. Brands and where to buy? OEM or other suggestions? Any place to get a full gasket kit? I also plan on doing the D-plate Cat Removal (recommend?). Should I look at rebuilding the carbs? Or only do it if they need it? Upgrade or enhance these also while I am in there?

hi sorry for your troubles.. if the moderators can move this for you to the 2 stroke performace section (your ski isnt quite old school yet) most of the powervalve members haunt there, you will receive more advice to all your questions .. Me, I'd pull the head and check the cylinder walls as mentioned...and nothing wrong with o/e parts, other than cost, and sometimes not by that much..

Mods: If you move it I understand. I didn't know exactly where to post it. My apologies.

No need to be sorry it was my own dumba$$ fault. Just need help and advice on how to best proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by ackershaw View Post
    Mods: If you move it I understand. I didn't know exactly where to post it. My apologies.

No need to be sorry it was my own dumba$$ fault. Just need help and advice on how to best proceed.
    no issues just trying to help direct you to the right area for posting your questions .. i think you found your first steps here anyway.. most of the newer ski owners are former old schooler at heart ,they have a soft spot for the older skis .. they just wont admit it so they haunt here too!!( I haunt there as you never know when new ideas can be adapted over!! )

+1
    The other option which still requires that you rebuild is you blew an oil seal.

I would pull off the air box and see if one of the oil feed lines came off.
    then I would pull the engine and start a rebuild.
    Your battery is way low from all your cranking charge it and see if it comes up to 14 volts.

While she's down... a few questions.

1.) Can anyone make any recommendations on the following parts (i.e. company and model or design):
    - Intake Grate
    - Pump Shoe Seal Kit
    - Ride Plate
    - D-Plate Cat Removal

2.) Can someone please tell me how a holeshot kit works and what exactly it does?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information