Another newbie with SL 750 problems

Hey guys, Iím Kendall from Nashville. Iím new to all things PWC, been lurking about 3 weeks. I picked up a 1994 SL 750 May 2. I took it out for the first time on the 19th and rode about an hour. I assumed she was in good shape, she ran great and I was happy. I got a long way from the dock, but had no problems.

Last Saturday I rode 30 minutes, then went to the marina to meet friends. She sat about 45 minutes and cooled off, then fired up and we headed out, cruising thru the no wake zone. It would not idle, I had to give it a little throttle and it wanted to die at low speeds, then it died and wouldnít restart. My buddy towed me back to the dock. After an hour, it fired up and I rode about 90 minutes with no problems. I met them across the lake and we tied up in a cove for a few hours. I tried to go for a quick run and she started, but died about 100 yards from their boat. I had a collapsible oar, and just rowed back (they were drinking beer, couldnít un-anchor to come get me). It wouldnít start 45 minutes later. Then an hour after that, at the end of the day, she fired right up and I kept the RPMs up so she wouldnít die, then rode her 20 minutes and went back to the Marina.

She wonít idle in the water, runs really bad if I try to go slow (like in a no wake zone), especially when cold. But after she warmed up, she ran strong. From everything Iíve read here, I plan to 1) replace all fuel lines, 2) replace the fuel filter, 3) rebuild the carbs, 4) get a 3-outlet fuel pump. Does that sound right? Any suggestions much appreciated. About how long should this take a first timer? As far as my mechanical ability, I do all my own work on my Buell. I should be able to learn this too, but itís all pretty foreign to me right now.

Dumb newbie question -- Isnít there supposed to be something in the fuel-water separator? I just realized mine doesnít have anything inside there. Anyone here got those parts that you could sell me?

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk !
    I would start with a compression test,that will tell the engine condition.
    There are service manuals in the Tech section,lots of good reading
    Most models should have some thing in the seperator,you can look up parts and prices here; http://www.polarispartshouse.com/home.aspx

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Have you downloaded the Service Manual, and looked through the info and PWC Knowledge links?

Check cylinder compression (all plugs out, throttle held wide open).

Also trim about 1/4" from the plug ends of the spark plug wires, then re-attach. Sometimes the wires get frayed inside.

Thanks for the tips. I've downloaded the manuals and bought the Clymer's book. My initial thinking was it was fuel related, but I'll check compression and look at the plug wires too. One thing I forgot to mention is that when it's in my garage and i have the seat off, I'm smelling fuel. I'm guessing that's not normal.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by krjoseph View Post
    ...One thing I forgot to mention is that when it's in my garage and i have the seat off, I'm smelling fuel. I'm guessing that's not normal.
    How much fuel smell?

A little whiff, or quite strong?

Is the smell mostly inside the hull, or just in the general vicinity of the machine?
    If you put the seat on, is the smell contained mostly inside the hull?

The fuel tank has a pressure release vent, and it is designed to vent the tank to the air outside the hull.

Check, or replace, the fuel tank one-way vent valves, if you suspect they are not working properly.

It's not real strong, about the same if the seat is on or left off. The pressure vent is probably it, hadn't thought of that.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

I'm thinking gas tank vent is plugged maybe?

All the maintainence you suggested is good. It'll take a newbie a couple hours to do, but will get much faster after you've done it before.

Use the manual and do 1 carb at a time. Use Mikuni carb parts, don't skimp with A/M parts.

Im kinda getting the same issue with mine actually. I think I might replace all the cooling lines and maybe fuel lines and filter.

I had the thing running one day out on the lake fine and then all of the sudden I got a blinking light and it cut off. the CDI was saying HOT. So I figured it went into safe mode. It did get pretty hot because the short hose between the exhaust and the waterbox ended up getting a bubble in it.

Thread Information