Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Drifting to the right at 80 mph, at high boost

I have a turbocharged GTI and the faster it gets the harder it pulls to the right under hard accelleration. I can hold the bars strait, and keep it strait, but it looses rpm and speed when "held" strait. If I just lighten my grip, and let it drift right, it picks up 200 rpm, and nearly 3mph!!

Has anyone experienced this? I have a 162mm scat pump, worx grate, 215 shoe bored to 162mm.

The steering is strait to the nozzle, it is not that, it but you end up turning the bars about 1.5 inches left to keep starit under full load. It is directly proportional to power also. at 20 psi boost it is not so bad, at 25psi, it gets much worse, etc...

thanks

+1
    Maybe there could be a chance the pump shoe is misaligned causing this? I would take the pump off and put a straight edge on the back of the ski and measure each side of the pump shoe. The measurements should be the same.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis914 View Post
    I have a turbocharged GTI and the faster it gets the harder it pulls to the right under hard accelleration. I can hold the bars strait, and keep it strait, but it looses rpm and speed when "held" strait. If I just lighten my grip, and let it drift right, it picks up 200 rpm, and nearly 3mph!!

Has anyone experienced this? I have a 162mm scat pump, worx grate, 215 shoe bored to 162mm.

The steering is strait to the nozzle, it is not that, it but you end up turning the bars about 1.5 inches left to keep starit under full load. It is directly proportional to power also. at 20 psi boost it is not so bad, at 25psi, it gets much worse, etc...

thanks
    sponsons 3rd guess
    rideplate 2nd guess
    intake grate 1st guess

weight distribution does this also, too much weight on one side of the engine compartment, does the ski sit level in the water ? does it idle straight?

+1
    Has the hull ever been damaged and repaired before? If so and it if it was'nt done properly it can cause a similar issue.

not quite sure what could be causing this if you are 100% sure your steering in lined up right. but at high speed that sounds dangerous so
    you could always adjust your steering to offset the drift...

all the ski's that I've owned prior to the RXT would do this if allowed to slightly drift to the right but not that much of a speed and rpm increase, they were slower ski's though. I can't fully explain the phenomenon, but it has to do with the rotation direction of the impeller trying to lift one side of the hull, and is more noticable the deeper the V of the hull.

Louis.. I hope you get it figured out.

Bump

+1
    its prolly just the GTI hull acting normal, not alot of 80mph GTI's

I believe member JESUSSEADOO has a few turbo GTI's. He might be able to help you.

+1
    Thanks for the input guys. Yes the GTI is a bit different than what most of you are running. But a fast GTI handles so well.. I have not checked pump shoe alignment, so I will check that. It has a very custom pump shoe in it.

Truthfully it could be anything, as almost everything under and around it is custom made.

It does sit level in the water, care was taken with turbo and intercooler placment to keep the balance close.

I am also going to check that the ride plate is level to the left/right axis of the hull, as there has been quite a bit of welding on it and it may have some twist in it? Myrtle beach is in 2 weeks, and although it is perfectly ridable I would like to fix this problem.

One thing for sure, it is exponential to power. the more power, the more left hand down to keep it strait.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information