Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad News

Bad News

Well some good and some bad....

At the lake over the weekend I was doing 67-68.4 mph with just the mods in the sig, minus the prop and pump.

Bad news.... So I am cruising down the lake at WOT and I get the over heating signal. I turn it off ASAP and wait, then pop the back to see if anything looked wierd. Everything looked fine. So I decided to just chill in the water for a bit then I got back on. Took it over to the ramp and did a few speed runs against an RXT (which I waxed) in the water close to the no wake. I got the same message on the tach. Over heating. So I turn it off ASAP once again and pop the back and smoke was pouring out. Called my father and had him come tow me in so I could pull the ski out.

On further inspection...... The hull was almost full of water. The red hose connected to the headers portion (exhaust part connected directly to the motor) looked a little wierd. Looked out of position and it turns out the plastic fitting/braket or whatever broke or came off somehow. This is where the water came from I am guessing. The head is somewhat discolored and the connection to the water box is off just a little.

I got all the water out of the motor and it cranks and starts up on land with no issue. It idles are 1000 or so and does NOT want to be reved. Seems like it is starving for air or something at 3000 rpms. The motor makes a slight squeeking noise also but not awful.

So what could be the problem? Any ideas? Anyone know a good Yamaha tech in Oklahoma?

+1
    that squeeking noise can be a bearing in your crank, just guessing here, but I've heard that same noise in a gpr before, turned out to be the crank bearings.
    SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl
    that squeeking noise can be a bearing in your crank, just guessing here, but I've heard that same noise in a gpr before, turned out to be the crank bearings.
    SHOOTER
    Yea that was my guess also. I have been wrenching on other stuff for awhile but this is my first go around with a ski.

If the head is discolored is it bad?

did you get YES? "yamaha extended warrenty"? I think you're going to need to get some major work done to it. sorry this happened to you, but good job on the RXT Kill!

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy1300
    did you get YES? "yamaha extended warrenty"? I think you're going to need to get some major work done to it. sorry this happened to you, but good job on the RXT Kill!
    I bought a warrenty with my last ski and it never broke (97 xp). And I figured with yamaha's good "reliable" rep I wouldn't need one. So much for that I guess.

Im wondering what could have causes that part to fail? Anything like this ever happen to you guys?

the squeek is the worst part i think. start taking it apart. I would check the reeds. you probably blew some of them out, that would be the reason for the bad performance with RPMs.

+1
    if your main water supply was hampered in getting the water to the engine in any way, you could very well have some cylinder damage (wall scoring) ---basically close to a seizure if it got hot enough in the motor.

You will have to check all of that to see. You may not have water intrusion (depending on how high the water got inside the hull) ---but it's always a possibility. Check everything out as good as you possibly can.

Overheating (such as lack of water) will cause the pistons to overexpand and run a very tight clearance to the walls of the jugs to the point where the piston rubs the chroming off of the walls (seizure).

Good luck on this!

Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT
    if your main water supply was hampered in getting the water to the engine in any way, you could very well have some cylinder damage (wall scoring) ---basically close to a seizure if it got hot enough in the motor.

You will have to check all of that to see. You may not have water intrusion (depending on how high the water got inside the hull) ---but it's always a possibility. Check everything out as good as you possibly can.

Overheating (such as lack of water) will cause the pistons to overexpand and run a very tight clearance to the walls of the jugs to the point where the piston rubs the chroming off of the walls (seizure).

Good luck on this!
    The water did get high enough in the ski to go in the intake. I removed the plugs, cranked her over till the water was out, started it with fresh plugs and let it idle for a min. Did that several times through out the day for very short periods. I also put some wd 40 in the cyls after all this. So that is good.

I shut down the engine after the light came on each time. So it didn't run long while hot. The big thing that bugs me is the squeeking noise (which is most likely a bearing I hope) and the heads turned a different color than the rest of the motor. Any insight on the heads turning colors?

+1
    Any insight on the heads turning colors?
    Heat

Quote Originally Posted by WFO
    Any insight on the heads turning colors?
    Heat
    Yea, but does it mean they are bad?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information