Captain Insano Shows No Mercy! turbo17's Avatar

Ultra 150 Primer Kit Install?

Hey guys 1st post here...a plethora of info on this great site. I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. Could someone please provide pics and detailed instructions on how to install an Atlantis Primer kit for my 2001 Ultra 150? I am having no luck and I don't want to mess up me ski. I have above average car knowledge but ski's are a bit different. Thanks for all the help!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

primer debate...

let it start with me saying I'm not a big fan of em..more tubing to leak, and squirting raw gas down the carbs can't be good for the first few turns of the engine ( unles you happen to be running premix.. A properly setup engine IMHO should just need the choke and a punch on the starter button.

I'm real interested in hearing other opinions on the topic myself..

I recently had a ski in that had a nasty-ass primer job done on it, sharp zip ties everywhere, and the primer button installed in the rear bucket of the ski, at least 8 feet of extra fuel carrying line on that job

Here is a good thread with lots of pics. http://www.ultra150.yuku.com/topic/2746?page=1

I run one on my 04 but in running buckshot brm carbs and the dont have chokes. When it had stock carbs it did take quite a bit of cranking to get it to fire over after sitting for several days.

A couple of quick highlites leave the choke plates in. Removing them will reduce carb signal and cause it to lean out. You only need to put one line in. You can drill the carb body or the fa for it and I agree keep the lines short.

Thanks for the responses guys. One question I forgot to mention is that are their instructions that are supposed to come w/ the kit?

You all can knox my primer set-up but it works without addtional fuel line and will not shoot addtional raw gas down the carb.

I put an outboard squeeze bulb on the incoming fuel line to the fuel pump and all you have to do is give it a squeeze or two and the ski fire right up without using the choke.

If there are any issues with this set-up that I am not aware of, please reply to educate me on them, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    You all can knox my primer set-up but it works without addtional fuel line and will not shoot addtional raw gas down the carb.

I put an outboard squeeze bulb on the incoming fuel line to the fuel pump and all you have to do is give it a squeeze or two and the ski fire right up without using the choke.

If there are any issues with this set-up that I am not aware of, please reply to educate me on them, thanks.

And pics of that setup?

I don't have any right now, I will try and take some, but it is pretting straight forward as to how to put it inline on the fuel line going to the filter.

repoman,

there was a customer who did the same thing on his 01 ultra but still had starting problems, he said he could prime it up but it still would be hard to start but i know kawasakis have bad problems with the check valves in the carbs, they go bad and fill the carbs up with oil which makes starting hard, no matter how much you prime it but you cant do an oil pump block off...................well i say you cant, i guess you could block off the three going to the carb and leave the two going to the counter balance shafts there???

never tried it but i guess you could do that, premix the tank and leave the oil injection for the two counter balance shafts?

ive pulled a many kawasaki carbs off that are FULL of oil from the injection nipple check valves failing and just free-flow oil right in.

Priming is getting the fuel in faster and after winterising it works way better for the first startup. The engine dont have to spin that much before it fires up like you sayd. BUT one stroke to much on the primer and the ski is flooded...

Thread Information