Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1

2003 XP-DI starts and dies....

My friend took his 03 XP DI out this weekend. Ran great up untill he found out there was a small bit of water coming in through the transom. So, worst case scenario. He came back to the ski later in the afternoon and found it had a fair amount of water in it. We trailered it, drained it, yanked the plugs, cranked water out, filled it with gas. Put it back on the lake to ride it and cook some of the watet out. After about 30 minutes the ski got to a point it bogged and died. Started it back up, same deal. It bogged and died even if you gave it some throttle. I found some water in the coil box up front which I poured out last night and left it open to dry. Issue still persists!

So now at this point. What other things should I peek at on this ski to try and sort out the runability issue? Has anybody encountered engine position sensor problems after water intrusion into the ski?? Any insight is appreciated. This DI ski is too new to me!

+1
    Any thoughts? Possible a TPS or MAP sensor filled with water or something? Just weird it will idle fine for a few seconds then bam, it dies!! Where is the CPS or engine position sensor at on this thing???

+1
    Wish you were closer so we could swap parts and test stuff. So how did it get water in the hull how?

+1
    Possibly got water in the compressor?? This would not allow the fuel rail to pressurize property..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dsolie View Post
    Possibly got water in the compressor?? This would not allow the fuel rail to pressurize property..
    Thats kinda what I was thinking. Or he could have water in the oil causing a light seasure. If there is any gray on the plugs that would be an indication, or the oil lines with have bubbles in them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    Wish you were closer so we could swap parts and test stuff. So how did it get water in the hull how?
    Seems like he has a small leak in the transom somewhere. We were going to try and sort out the engine problems first, get it running then find the leak.

So we should maybe take a look at the oil lines? One other thing I wondered. Is there a special part of the engine that could still have water in it? Maybe an area that wont disperse water from pulling the plugs and cranking? What gets me is the thing will start and idle, then just out of the blue dies! Its weird! Then when you try to restart all it does is crank. Just makes me feel like there is a fuel delivery issue. Should I take the rail apart and drain it of whatever may be in there? THat dam fuel pump is a BEAR to get to!!!

+1
    Can water fill the CB shaft area in a situation like this??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    So we should maybe take a look at the oil lines?
    Can't hurt but prob not your problem. Happen to me one time the oil got water in it and geled up clogging the filter and light seased one cylinder. The oil lines had bubbles in them when I turned the pump full tilt while it was idleing so I could see if it works at full throttle.

Can water fill the CB shaft area in a situation like this??
    Yes it can through the hose that goes from the throttle body area over to the right side in the center lower motor area. Its a bitch to get to, if you want check the side on the throttle body, disconnect it there and look for water, should be none.

. Should I take the rail apart and drain it of whatever may be in there? THat dam fuel pump is a BEAR to get to!!!
    Prob not in the rail. Fuel pump is easy compared to the starter. Are you useing the access plug under the seat? Get some new plugs asap if you have not already put fresh ones in they are really easy to foul.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TX21 View Post
    Can't hurt but prob not your problem. Happen to me one time the oil got water in it and geled up clogging the filter and light seased one cylinder. The oil lines had bubbles in them when I turned the pump full tilt while it was idleing so I could see if it works at full throttle.

Yes it can through the hose that goes from the throttle body area over to the right side in the center lower motor area. Its a bitch to get to, if you want check the side on the throttle body, disconnect it there and look for water, should be none.

Prob not in the rail. Fuel pump is easy compared to the starter. Are you useing the access plug under the seat? Get some new plugs asap if you have not already put fresh ones in they are really easy to foul.
    We are going to take the seat off tomorrow and get to that panel. Want to check the fuel pressure. Will also get new plugs in it too. This thing is driving us crazy! Thanks for the input though. Ill post back with what I find on the fuel pressure. What is it supposed to be at idle and WOT anyway?

+1
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2mn9djitwzi

Thats the service book for your ski. Go to page 371 or the fuel test. If you end up needing any parts let me know. I bought a XPDI 03' rebult the entire motor only to find out it has a bad MPEM and one of those is $1500 so I may part my ski out.

And don't remove the seat just take the front two nuts off and swing the seat out of the way to get to the plug, takes 5 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information