Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Polaris

Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    +1

New to Polaris

Hello all!

I just bought a '94 SLT 750 (along with a '94 SeaDoo SPX), and its my non-SeaDoo sled ('89 SP, '94 GTS, '96 GTI in years past).

So far, it hasnt been good. After taking it out this weekend for a spin and finding it far underpowered, I ran compression and found Cylinder #1 to be dead. Hole burnt in the top of the piston near the exhaust port.
    So, new pistons for a new-for-me sled!

Any tips on how these behave differently than Rotax's? Any info on the thermostat??...i've never delt with one in a sled before.

Brian

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Not sure about a Rotax, but the 750 will need a few upgrades due to age alone.

Buy a triple outlet fuel pump and new 1/4" ID fuel hose for the SLT. Then make sure the carbs are clean and in good working order. (no brittle or punctured diaphragms, clean filters, worn needles, etc) Also be sure to clean/inspect the petcock.

NOTE: when replacing the fuel lines, inside the return hose (just past the carbs) should be a brass restrictor. It needs to be re-installed in the new hose for fuel pressure.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did you follow the link for the Service manual?

If you click around that site, you will find a lot more info, including things specific to your blue Fuji engine.

The thermostat housing should be opened up, and checked for dirt. Some folks remove the thermostat entirely, but if it is working properly, it will help maintain a consistent engine temperature.

You can check it in a pot of water on the stove. Should open around 140F.

Also check that the pressure bypass plunger is not sticking or worn down.

There are a number of Service Bulletins and updates that apply to your 1994 model. In some cases, changing things to match the 1995 750 model might be appropriate.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Buy a triple outlet fuel pump and new 1/4" ID fuel hose for the SLT. Then make sure the carbs are clean and in good working order. (no brittle or punctured diaphragms, clean filters, worn needles, etc) Also be sure to clean/inspect the petcock.

NOTE: when replacing the fuel lines, inside the return hose (just past the carbs) should be a brass restrictor. It needs to be re-installed in the new hose for fuel pressure.
    thanks!
    Ive already ordered new reeds and carb rebuild kits, Ill def look into upgrading fuel hoses and make sure the restrictor.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Did you follow the link for the Service manual?

Also check that the pressure bypass plunger is not sticking or worn down.

There are a number of Service Bulletins and updates that apply to your 1994 model. In some cases, changing things to match the 1995 750 model might be appropriate.
    Thanks for all the info! I did look into the manual, and will be ordering one when Im not at a work PC.
    Is the bypass the black plastic plunger pictured here??: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueMartin View Post
    ...I did look into the manual, and will be ordering one when I'm not at a work PC.

Is the bypass the black plastic plunger pictured here??:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=
    Ordering a service manual?

It is available for download to your computer.

The eBay link you posted doesn't work, but here is what the parts inside the thermostat housing look like from a Polaris domestic engine. Your Fuji engine thermostat will be a little different, but similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149955.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	133831  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Ordering a service manual?

It is available for download to your computer.

The eBay link you posted doesn't work, but here is what the parts inside the thermostat housing look like from a Polaris domestic engine. Your Fuji engine thermostat will be a little different, but similar.

The link doesnt open here at work, so I was guessing it was a book to buy. Free is always better, so thanks!

The pics are exactly what I thought they were, so it should be an easy clean, esp with the jugs already out. So far Ive just been using microfiche to look up parts diagrams and see how things fit together. http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/...4/Polaris.aspx

+1
    The official Polaris parts diagrams are here.

It includes a handy cross reference "Usage" feature, so you can check what other models and years used the same part number.

+1
    Whats the advantage of the triple outlet fuel pump over the stock unit?

Also, has anyone done any of the Group K sleeper mods?
    http://www.groupk.com/p750.htm
    The cooling upgrade includes tapping the water jacket in each jug, and routing it out of the hull, letting cool water flow in quicker.

BTW, I picked up an R&D intake grate and TDR water pipe for it. I had the pipe on it when I found it had a bad piston, and the growl with it on is far meaner than stock.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Triple outlet supplies each carb equally. The single outlet feeds the PTO carb, then the CEN carb, and what's left feeds the MAG carb. That's why the had a tendancy to run lean and hole those pistons in particular.

You can try GroupK. That's actaully alot of gain for not that much $$.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Triple outlet supplies each carb equally. The single outlet feeds the PTO carb, then the CEN carb, and what's left feeds the MAG carb. That's why the had a tendancy to run lean and hole those pistons in particular.
    Crap, I never thought about that. Maybe thats part of the reason my MAG piston had a lean hole burnt in it...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information