Question Wastegate problem solved - will my MSX150 need to be reset?

I have an '04 MSX150 that sat for a fair amount of last summer. Before my last ride, the wastegate arm had frozen solid. The wastegate solenoid checked out fine, and I got the wastegate itself freed up over the winter--man, was THAT a job-and-a half! I am going to fire it up tomorrow (that would be May 28, 2009), and I was just wondering if I will positively have to take my ski to a Polaris dealer to clear trouble codes as is so often talked about on Greenhulk.

Last season, before the wastegate was fixed, the ski had limited its RMS to around 5400, and the red CHECK ENGINE light came on until I slowed down. Boost pressure was almost non-existent. I've never had the slightest problem out of the ski, and this problem, as often as it occurs, seems to be a design flaw.

So, like I just said: Now that the problem has been fixed, will I have to have the computer reset, for sure?

Anyone had this experience either way?

Thanks,
    Freelancenovelist

Hey Freelance,

Welcome to the hulk.

Nice to hear you solve the problem with the wastegate. Please post how you did it as others may be having a similar issue. Did you remove the wastegate or use some type of agent etc.

Now that you have that solved....

There is a great thread in this forum for reseting the control module. It involves unplugging the brown relay box in the upper back of the ski. Basically run her for 5 min and then unplug the box while she is running and wait for 5 min. Plug the relay back in an you should be clear.

But please read the other post for exact instructions. There are lots of good posts already in the archives to help you out. Give em a look.

Regards,

Ctek

Ski reset

CTEK:

Thanks for the instructions on resetting the computer on my 150. I wanted to look up the detailed process you refered to, but nothing comes up in the various searches I did. Do you remember any of the wordage so I can have something to search on? Or is there a link you can refer me to?

Thanks

Error code

Rumor has it that if you disconnect the power, and completely drain your ECu, it will release all the problem codes. for example, if you have a bosst problem, cure it, power down and restart, you should be fine..

I cannot verify this, but perhaps Desperado will help us?

Thanks,
    Randy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancenovelist View Post
    Thanks for the instructions on resetting the computer on my 150.

I wanted to look up the detailed process you referred to, but nothing comes up in the various searches I did...
    Is this what you are referring to?

Page 5.40 in the 2004 MSX 150 service manual.

"...Perform ECU reset procedure by inserting lanyard, then disconnecting main relay.

Reconnect main relay and wait at least one minute. ECU will re--learn ETB..."

It is my understanding that the ECU naturally 'stores' any trouble codes...but only for historical reference information to any tech that uses the Digital Wrench program. The ECU scans all of the engine sensors, and parameters, upon every startup. If all is well, the check engine light goes out...and off you go!

Just like in your car...when a problem is fixed, there is no need to clear any trouble codes. If the 'check engine' light is out, then all is well in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is this what you are referring to?

Page 5.40 in the 2004 MSX 150 service manual.

"...Perform ECU reset procedure by inserting lanyard, then disconnecting main relay.

Reconnect main relay and wait at least one minute. ECU will re--learn ETB..."
    Right, K447...that is normally done when you have changed the ETB (Electronic Throttle Body). Even this is probably overkill, since the ECU pretty much 'sweeps' the throttle range if you 'wake' the ECU up, without starting the engine.

I don't think that anything needs to be done after an overboost situation is corrected...but there isn't any harm in doing this just to be sure!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Watcon View Post
    Rumor has it that if you disconnect the power, and completely drain your ECu, it will release all the problem codes. for example, if you have a bosst problem, cure it, power down and restart, you should be fine..

I cannot verify this, but perhaps Desperado will help us?

Thanks,
    Randy
    Overboost codes are erased from the ECU active trouble codes after the ECU powers off. However, the code remains in the historic trouble code memory for a fixed number of hours.

So.... simply allow the ECU to power off normally by shutting down the engine. Once the MFD display is powered off, restart the engine -- the overboost coondition will be cleared. Of course, if there is a problem with the boost regulating system & components.... the overboost will be triggered again if the problem persists for more than 0,4 second.

Thanks, guys - thread closed

Thanks to all for replies. It all worked out.

Thread is closed.

Thanks again.

FLN

Thread Information