Sponsons for my '99 XPL

Hi all,

Well I bought my ski as it is 2nd hand minus a few bits and pieces ive done (fuel line, bilge pump, wear ring ect. ect..). The previous owner said he had sponsons on it but they got pinched as well as the trailer numberplate before i bought it.... I want to get some sponsons on it so i can carve super tight turns, coming from a motorcross and downhill racing background im loving the G's you can feel corning on these things.

Anyway to the point:
    This is whats left over from the sponsons... Their are some bolts sticking out one side and manly just a heap of glue/silicon left over. What do you recomend and where from and how do i go about installing them? Can i use what is allready on here?

Right hand side:

Left hand side:

+1
    i have some perfect condition worx sponson i'll sell u

+1
    Those Worx that Tim has are nice. You may have to switch out the backing plates and that is a PITA.

IMO, stock sponsons are fine on an XPL but they would take the same amount of work and would probably be harder to re-install than aftermarket.

The more I see of your boat the more I wonder about the dude you bought it from. First the bilge pump and now this. Why pull sponsons off and not the backing plates? And, why the heck is there a pan head bolt sticking out of your hull five or six inches in front of the sponsons? The sponsons fit on the backing plate so what is that even for?

Looking closer, it may be that the sponsons he put on it did not fit (not long enough) that bolt may be filling the front hole where the OE sponsons were. You should not have that problem with those Worx as they would be for an XPL.

yeah I do worry about the previous owner He was a top bloke though! when looked at it not all the trailer lights worked and he re wired it while i was their and did as much as he could to help. It does how ever have a aftermarket grate and impeller on it

How do i go about fitting these sponsons you have mate? Will their be a large improvement?

+1
    Over what you have now, most definitely.

IMO, with a loader grate like the Worx (which I have on XPL and RX) the stock sponsons will give you all the coronering you could ever want.

This is based on the PITA it is to change sponons (in the case of my XPL). Now your situation is different in that you HAVE to do something because what you have is messed up. You will have to pull the water box and the resonator and it is a lot of work and it sucks. So, you might as well put aftermarket sponsons on it for all the trouble you will have to go to.

The Worx brand that Mongoose has are great and you will be able to turn on a dime (just hold on tight).

The PO may be a great guy, but his approach to PWC maintenance leaves a bit to be desired.

No joke some of his maintenance is questionable! But the rest of the ski is in wicked condition!

How hard is doing these sponsons? How long will it take and do i need much prior knowledge or is just pulling shit out and putting stuff back in?

Is their a how to sponsons install on xp anywhere?

+1
    It is pretty much just pull stuff out and then put it back. There is not much room to mess around in there and you have to do some tricks with getting the bolts in and such but it is not overly complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose2 View Post
    i have some perfect condition worx sponson i'll sell u
    How much include post to South Australia post code 5066?

Do you have everything so all i need to do is bolt them on?

Anyone got any ideas on how I can contact this mongoose (tim) guy? Im keen on his sponsosns sent a few pms with no reply

Thread Information