Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

counterbalance shaft oil level

Hi, i'm a new owner of a seadoo RXX and i wanted to check everything before riding it... so anybody can tell me where can i find my counterbalance shaft oil level on it... what kid of oil do i put inside, witch side of the engine left, right, front or rear... please...? there's not a lot of room, i start looking arround but i didnt see the plug to fill it... i saw lots of pics of it but i dont know exactly where to look for it like front left or front right when i'm looking from the back of the ski ? thanks guys...

+1
    It is on the right side (as you sit on it) of the engine opposite the carbs/exhaust manifolds. You can not reach it with a stock pipe on so I doubt you can with twins like that RXX has. The plug is right under the cylinder mount flange (there is a pipe mount bracket there on stock pipes, not sure on the twins).

It takes SAE 30 motor oil and not much of that.

Unless you want to pull the pipes you can not really do anything about it. If you have a much better reason to pull the pipes, then have at it.

It is on the right side (as you sit on it) of the engine opposite the carbs/exhaust manifolds. You can not reach it with a stock pipe on so I doubt you can with twins like that RXX has. The plug is right under the cylinder mount flange (there is a pipe mount bracket there on stock pipes, not sure on the twins).

It takes SAE 30 motor oil and not much of that.

Unless you want to pull the pipes you can not really do anything about it. If you have a much better reason to pull the pipes, then have at it.
    I think i have to disagree here. I don't know about the twin pipes, however i know you can get to the plug with single pipe. Everyone was saying you cant, so i tried it and I had no problem...and this is on a 96xp. Look for the hump (which the CB gear spins in) and there is a screw just to the rear of it. It is a allen head, and you will need an allen driver to remove it (regular L wrench wont work). But with a driver and extension it is a straight shot.

You can use a zip tie to check the level of the oil. I think it is supposed to be at the bottom of the threads (need to confirm this). However what i dont know for sure is if you have to check it with the engine level or how it sits in the doo.

GL
    Dean

+1
    Not so fast my friend.

That is on a 787.

An RXX is a 947.

A 787 does not have a CB shaft oil level. There is an initial fill through that plug prior to installation and then it receives additional oil via the fuel just as the crank is lubed. Putting oil in a 787 after the fact is not bad, but also it did no appreciable good.

The fill plug on a 947 is right under the rear pipe mount bracket flange on the cylinder. Trust me, I only have three of them in my garage.

sorry i should have clarified. my xp has a 951. I should put that in my profile. ( I guess i have been neglecting to make that thread...lol ziggy)

I don't know, maybe i have something setup wrong. I will try to snap a picture when i get home tonight. I just recall being able to get to the bolt. But i have been wrong many times in my life.

Dean

+1
    I should have known. You can not swing a dead cat without hitting an X-4 with a 947 in it.

I remember the days when boats still had the engines they came with

That said, the oil level should be just over the little ledge that is under the fill plug (SD says it is only like 30ml, which is not much anyway). That is with the engine sitting level. As you noted, it is slanted in the boat so a true full level will spill out when you pull the plug.

I just recently took one apart that had 240 hours on the bottom end. The CB shaft cavity was still quite full.

IMO, do not worry about it. When CB shafts go it is the sealed bearings that fail, more often than not.

I have heard of but a few gear failures and on most of those the timing (recently rebuilt) suggested that either no, or not enough oil was added before installation.

here is a thread with a picture at least. Like stated above, most people say don't worry about it....eh that kind of scares me but is what it is i guess.

I remember the days when boats still had the engines they came with
    LOL dam kids

Like i said, ill check when i get home anyways that is if i dont go riding

dean

+1
    Either 947s are rebuilt long before it could be a problem (a likely scenario considering the delicate nature of the engine) or it is just not a failure point as long as you have some oil in there.

On my 97.5 GSXL with the white pipe I was able to R&R the plug and oil with a syringe and a long hose on the end. It was like helping a horse give birth but doable.

That was the first time I check it in 10 years

Thanks a lot guys... i feel more confident now riding it... i'm gonna try to check oil level and if i cant i cant...! Anyways the jet has only 29H so should be ok... is there some canadian riders in this site arround London Ontario...? i'm probably gonna try it out in Grand-Bend... someone told me there is some little waves, actually i just moved from france last septembre and i'm used to ride on the ocean in france (it was a RX DI) so that means big waves to jump... i hope i'll find some waves to jump a bit even if its a lake...
    Once again thanks guys... i hope next time i can help you back...

Bye and have fun...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information