Water in the cylinders 2001 Virage Tx

I have a 2001 Virage Tx. I found water in the cylinders and I suspect the Exhaust pipe might be cracked inside letting water into all 3 cylinders. I removed the exhaust pipe and sealed the point where it attaches to the exhaust manifold and attached a water hose to the inlet. Water is coming out the exhaust pipe. Therefore I determined there must be an internal crack allowing cooling water into the exhaust port. A friend told me this was normal, but I find that hard to believe. Do I have a cracked exhaust pipe, or more serious problems?
    Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk

Click here for the Polaris Service Manuals.

The exhaust system on these machines incorporates a water injection spray into the exhaust stream. That is the smallish hose that connects from one spot on the exhaust pipe to another. When the engine is running normally, the water cools the exhaust gases enough to not burn the large rubber exhaust hoses.

If you pressurize the engine/exhaust water cooling jackets without clamping off the water injection into the exhaust, you will fill the exhaust pipe with water, which will then back up into the cylinders.

If you have water in the engine, you need to get it out ASAP. The service manual outlines how to do this.

Do not crank the engine over with water inside, without first removing the spark plugs. Water does not compress, and when the piston attempts to rise with the spark plug in place, it will hydro-lock the engine, and you can crack the piston, or even bend a connecting rod.

How did you originally find water in the cylinders?

Were you running the engine on a garden hose?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk, Did you have the ski running when you turned the water on?Without the ski running the water will run back into the cyls. The when you start it you can bend rods,etc. Always start the ski,Then turn on the water...........turn off water,then shut down the ski.When did you first notice water in the cyls?

The rider said it stopped, and couldn't get it running, so we towed it in, about 300 yards. I removed the cylinder drain plugs and had some water. I removed the exhaust pipe to test, since that seemed to be the point of entry. It was disconnected from the engine when I tested with the hose. Now I know about the "wet" exhaust. Thanks! I'm guessing the water entered when we towed it in. I did run lots of WD40, then oil to remove the water until I got clear oil.

I checked the manual, and there is nothing about the possibility of water entering by towing!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skeleton View Post
    ...I checked the manual, and there is nothing about the possibility of water entering by towing!
    The owner's manual?

Thread Information