Testing Oil Pump || Finding oil leak source SL780

Hi Folks

Is there an easy procedure for testing the oil pump on a the SL780?

I pulled the cover off my parent's boat for them today - only to find the hull filmed over with 2-stroke oil & water mix. I can't tell if there's a leak somewhere, or if it is just spillage from over filling, but I want to make sure that everything is running right before I put it in the water for them.

Is there an easy way to check the oil pump? I tried pulling the lines at the carb end individually and seeing if they spit anything into a glass jar (lanyard out so no spark, and at full throttle to get max oil pumpage) but I got nothing, out of any of the hoses. Are these somewhat vacum assisted by the high side on the carbs?

Also, is there an easy procedure somewhere for replacing the oil lines? I'm thinking that might be part of the problem, but I can't seem to figure out how to replace them without pulling the manifold, which I don't have the time for nor the right gaskets to replace.

Last, if there's anything else I should be checking that would produce an oil leak, let me know. Help is appreciated. I tried the search already, and am not going to convert to premix. Beerdart's manual doesn't seem to have much in it either with regards to the oil pump.

[email protected]

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I will presume you have a plan for getting the hull cleaned out.

Until you get the oil pump (or leak) issue figured out, put some pre-mix oil in the fuel tank, so the engine will be protected. If you use a good synthetic 2-stroke TC-W3 oil, you can just put in enough for say 80:1 (some of those oils are rated for 100:1).

Run the engine for a few minutes to ensure the pre-mix is circulating (go for a short low-throttle ride, to really slosh the fuel around).

Now you can run the engine with the oil hose(s) to the engine disconnected, and confirm they are pumping oil. The pump doesn't move much oil at cranking RPM, so running the engine is a better method.

If you disconnect the pump control linkage, the pump should fall back to 100% oil flow rate. This is a safety feature of these pumps, so the engine will always get enough oil, even if the linkage falls off.

If you strap the machine to the trailer front and back, you can back it down the launch ramp until the jet pump intake is submerged, and run the engine with the seat off for as long as you need to figure out if the oil pump is working properly.

BTW, it is recommended that the oil filter near the oil tank be replaced every year. If yours has gotten clogged, it won't be helping anything.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I will presume you have a plan for getting the hull cleaned out.

Until you get the oil pump (or leak) issue figured out, put some pre-mix oil in the fuel tank, so the engine will be protected. If you use a good synthetic 2-stroke TC-W3 oil, you can just put in enough for say 80:1 (some of those oils are rated for 100:1).

Run the engine for a few minutes to ensure the pre-mix is circulating (go for a short low-throttle ride, to really slosh the fuel around).

Now you can run the engine with the oil hose(s) to the engine disconnected, and confirm they are pumping oil. The pump doesn't move much oil at cranking RPM, so running the engine is a better method.

If you disconnect the pump control linkage, the pump should fall back to 100% oil flow rate. This is a safety feature of these pumps, so the engine will always get enough oil, even if the linkage falls off.

If you strap the machine to the trailer front and back, you can back it down the launch ramp until the jet pump intake is submerged, and run the engine with the seat off for as long as you need to figure out if the oil pump is working properly.

BTW, it is recommended that the oil filter near the oil tank be replaced every year. If yours has gotten clogged, it won't be helping anything.

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick some oil in the tank tomorrow and at least get it safe. It's only got half a tank in it anyway, so it's easy enough to dilute once I figure out what the deal is. It's also nice that the boat sits on a hoist, so no worrying about the trailer I can just run it on the hoistas long as I need, it's just getting it there that's tough!

As for cleaning the hull - if you ever see this stuff called mean green, get it. Pour it in the hull full strength and let it sit overnight. Add some water and let it slosh around for a bit, then siphon it out and properly dispose. Cleans just about anything. Another trick, toss a dishwasher nugget in the hull every couple weeks - the water that gets in dissolves it enough to keep the hull clean. You can practically eat out of my waveblaster hull.

I'll let you know how things go.

Thanks again.

Thread Information