SC 4-Tec Rod knocking--Long post but need input, tks!

Had boat out last weekend, still breaking in a rebuilt 4-Tec engine. After about 6 hours on engine, started "knocking" really bad (was just coming back across lake at about 4000 rpm, started all of a sudden). Limped it in to the dock, but engine sounds really bad, definately some kind of major malfunction.

Checked oil after warming up and before using and was fine, checked after engine started knocking, still fine. No water ingestion. Followed 4-Tec break-in procedures to the letter, never even hit full throttle.

Had oil pump replaced when rebuilt engine was installed. Took valve cover off to check valves after I got home (all keepers were still on), and oil shot out all over my garage wall when I very briefly started engine, so am sure oil pump was working fine.

Here's the question: Is there anything besides the engine not being rebuilt correctly that could have caused this? I mean the engine didn't have more than 6 hours on it.

Company that rebuilt engine is willing to replace engine if wasn't oil starved (how could that have happened, oil checked fine, pump good) or had water ingestion (it didn't). More or less, they'll replace if if they can't show that I did something to cause the failure.

Would very much appreciate opinions, obviously a lot of you guys "know your stuff" when it comes to engines--

Thanks much!

+1
    I had one do the same on me, first time I hit WOT after breaking it in(10 hours exactly), Oil light flashed buzzer went off and I snatched the lanyard! After I checked the hull for leaks and started it back up, started knocking! Turned out to be a bearing for a connecting rod, these things happen occasionally man!

Quote Originally Posted by Rendog View Post
    I had one do the same on me, first time I hit WOT after breaking it in(10 hours exactly), Oil light flashed buzzer went off and I snatched the lanyard! After I checked the hull for leaks and started it back up, started knocking! Turned out to be a bearing for a connecting rod, these things happen occasionally man!
    Never hit WOT, never had any warning lights. These things don't just happen on an engine that has been rebuilt correctly!

I'm not an expert on Seadoo engines, but when I have one rebuilt I would expect more than 6 hours before a failure.

If you had a rebuilt engine put in your car, and drove 15 miles down the road and it blew up, would you be thinking "oh well, these things happen"??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zues View Post
    Had boat out last weekend, still breaking in a rebuilt 4-Tec engine. After about 6 hours on engine, started "knocking" really bad (was just coming back across lake at about 4000 rpm, started all of a sudden). Limped it in to the dock, but engine sounds really bad, definately some kind of major malfunction.

Checked oil after warming up and before using and was fine, checked after engine started knocking, still fine. No water ingestion. Followed 4-Tec break-in procedures to the letter, never even hit full throttle.

Had oil pump replaced when rebuilt engine was installed. Took valve cover off to check valves after I got home (all keepers were still on), and oil shot out all over my garage wall when I very briefly started engine, so am sure oil pump was working fine.

Here's the question: Is there anything besides the engine not being rebuilt correctly that could have caused this? I mean the engine didn't have more than 6 hours on it.

Company that rebuilt engine is willing to replace engine if wasn't oil starved (how could that have happened, oil checked fine, pump good) or had water ingestion (it didn't). More or less, they'll replace if if they can't show that I did something to cause the failure.

Would very much appreciate opinions, obviously a lot of you guys "know your stuff" when it comes to engines--

Thanks much!
    zues welcome to the forum, im sorry to here about your short commings on your engine, the only thing i can think of is one of the main bearings (con rod caps) wasn't put on right or the big ends were not torqued enough, these are realy though engines, if put back right should last a long time, again welcome to the forum of seadoo knowhow, its a great site, regards bill

Quote Originally Posted by jetskibill9999 View Post
    zues welcome to the forum, im sorry to here about your short commings on your engine, the only thing i can think of is one of the main bearings (con rod caps) wasn't put on right or the big ends were not torqued enough, these are realy though engines, if put back right should last a long time, again welcome to the forum of seadoo knowhow, its a great site, regards bill

I agree totally.

+1
    Yeah ,man. don't misunderstand me, I agree totally that it had to be a builders error! Just takes some time before it comes apart, the builder should warranty it IMO!

Yep, if you just ran it, and didn't install, nor put oil in etc... take it back man.

The oil press alarm would go off if you ran low for sure. sometimes the engine re-builder makes mistakes too. As long as he agrees its not your fault, all is good.

They are a very strong engine if re-built correctly, but sometimes...

Mistakes happen, but get it sorted under warranty.

Thread Information