Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

help getting exhaust off

Hey guys. I'm new here... I just picked up a '94 SL 750 with 65 hrs and a trailer for $300. He said it doesn't run, but it turns over and he thought it just needed a new fuel pump. So i've gotten into it a little. I've got a 3-outlet pump on the way and a clymer manual on the way, new fuel lines sitting in the garage, and just got into the engine. Compression is 150 in the mag, 150 in the cen, and 15 in the rear. haha. got the top off and found a big crack through the piston and a chunk missing from the top. Luckily it chipped up and went through the exhaust rather than down into the crank case. So i'm trying to get the cylinder off. My question is: how the HECK do you get the exhaust pipe off? Maybe i'm missing something, but I've removed the four big bolts from the top and the two on the motor mount and the thing is solid as a rock. is there any way to remove the cylinder w/o removing the exhaust and manifold? Thanks guys.

P.S. I'll admit . . . I'm in way over my head here. This is my first time getting into a two-stroke, and I have limited experience with rebuilding anything. Any pointers for this process would be a HUGE help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click here for the Polaris Service Manual - and lots of other useful info

How do you know none of the loose metal went down into the crank case?

Cracked piston is often the result of hydro-lock. Water inside the engine.

Hydro-lock can bend the connecting rod or twist the crank shaft out of index. I suggest you check the crank index before you pull any cylinders off.

the crack goes through the piston, but the chip is off the top of the piston. I don't think there's any way it could have gone back down.

How do you check the crank index? I tried searching, but apparently I'm bad at using this search function.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpontius View Post
    the crack goes through the piston, but the chip is off the top of the piston. I don't think there's any way it could have gone back down.

How do you check the crank index? I tried searching, but apparently I'm bad at using this search function.
    Loose pieces of material can sometimes work their way through the transfer ports, which connect the lower crank case and upper combustion chambers together.

The fuel+air moves from the intake, through reeds into the crank case, then upwards to above the piston through the transfer ports.

Crank Index checking is outlined in the service manual, but it is also discussed in post like this one, and this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jpontius View Post
    Hey guys. I'm new here... I just picked up a '94 SL 750 with 65 hrs and a trailer for $300. He said it doesn't run, but it turns over and he thought it just needed a new fuel pump. So i've gotten into it a little. I've got a 3-outlet pump on the way and a clymer manual on the way, new fuel lines sitting in the garage, and just got into the engine. Compression is 150 in the mag, 150 in the cen, and 15 in the rear. haha. got the top off and found a big crack through the piston and a chunk missing from the top. Luckily it chipped up and went through the exhaust rather than down into the crank case. So i'm trying to get the cylinder off. My question is: how the HECK do you get the exhaust pipe off? Maybe i'm missing something, but I've removed the four big bolts from the top and the two on the motor mount and the thing is solid as a rock. is there any way to remove the cylinder w/o removing the exhaust and manifold? Thanks guys.

P.S. I'll admit . . . I'm in way over my head here. This is my first time getting into a two-stroke, and I have limited experience with rebuilding anything. Any pointers for this process would be a HUGE help.
    After removing the four big exhaust bolts, get a short piece of 2x4 (maybe 6-8in) and place it along the side of the exhause pipe where it meets the top of the manifold. Whack it with a hammer (preferably a rubber mallet, but a hammer works too!), and that should break the pipe free. Really sophisticated tools, i know.

Actually, rewind. Did you remove the two front bracket bolts? And the two rear? The front will be near the top, in between the pipe and the gas tank, and the rear will be down near the bottom of the engine block. Then whack it with the 2x4 and hammer. Sorry, just didnt want you to keep beating this thing to death without ALL the bolts undone!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Yes, 4 big bolts.

1 mount up front

1 mount at the rear.

Definately check the index. It does sound like hydrolock.

Good luck

Okay so i'll check the crank index this weekend when I get a chance, but there's one thing I don't quite get. How do you rotate the crank by hand?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    With the spark plugs pulled you should be able to easily turn it from the coupler at the rear of the crank shaft.

+1
    you have to pull the shroud that covers the couple first. black plastic, just behind the engine it covers the drive coupler. Should have a worm band around the stern end and then pops off

as for exhaust.

4 big bolts
    2 front and rear holders

then 3 bolts per cylinder on the exhaust manifold

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information