Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some/a lot of help

Ok, brand new ski owner with some questions/problems. Like an idiot I bought a 05 fxho cruiser back in the winter without ridding it (yes I know, no need to comment). The ski only had 50 hrs on and looked like it had came off of the showroom floor. Anyhow, once I put it in the water I could only get about 35 mph out of it, just thought it was in L mode. Tried to change it with the key fob and that didn't work. So all in all I have put less than 2 hours on the ski since it's been in the water. The other day I start it and it makes a terrible noise at idle and just slugs through the water, back to the dock. The oil light did come on and beep once. Took the ski out of the water and started looking around. Does anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong with the ski and can you identify this part, it obviously is not oem and I don't know what it is for. Thanks in advance..........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	134014  

Another pic

Another pic, thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engine2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	134015  

It looks like you are just missing a rubber plug. Here is a link to some pics of another FX HO engine. Notice the vent tube and rubber plug. You look like you have the vent tube already, so it just looks like a plug goes there.

http://www.fullwavemarine.com/TIPS%2...AHA%20PWC.html

As for the running rough and oil light. You should check the oil level. Hope it wasnt too low on oil and did damage though.

+1
    An 05 with only 50 hrs may have been sitting for a long time with untreated fuel. If so, you might want to drain the tank & run some premium through it...maybe also add some fuel system cleaner. I would also put fresh oil in it. Hope you get it sorted out...Welcome to the forum.

+1
    DO everything that Paul said, top off oil level, and then just to be sure throw a compression tester on it and post the results. You know how to do a compression check?

new spark plugs, new oil (make sure you dont overfill) and fresh gas and you should be good

Ok, thanks for the help so far. The ski just doesn't sound right at all. It actually sounds like it has dropped a valve or a similar noise. The oil is also a lot darker than it was initially. Just a thought, but is there many failures related to the oil pump???

The oil level is OK

Quote Originally Posted by cwheeler View Post
    Ok, thanks for the help so far. The ski just doesn't sound right at all. It actually sounds like it has dropped a valve or a similar noise. The oil is also a lot darker than it was initially. Just a thought, but is there many failures related to the oil pump???

The oil level is OK
    the engine is just about the most reliable in the PWC industry. It could be sounding like that cuase you have more than one spark plug messed up but do a compression test anyways along with all the plugs, oil/filter change and fresh gas

i wouldnt start it again till you have that completed

Thanks for all of the help. After new plugs (which were in pretty rough shape) and an oil change its good to go. Thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by cwheeler View Post
    Thanks for all of the help. After new plugs (which were in pretty rough shape) and an oil change its good to go. Thanks again for the help.

Life is good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information