need to exchange engine for 92 sl650- any suggestions

I have a 92 Polaris SL-650 and the piston rod is broke, piston looks bad too. I figure I'd exchange for a rebuilt. Any suggestions? Also mine has the tubes coming out the bottom and some don't ,,, what's the deal there?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click here for the Polaris Service manuals.

There were two versions of the early Fuji engines used by Polaris. One version has water cooling in the crankcase, the other version does not. No performance difference between the two types.

One option is SBT.

Have a look at this thread.

SBT has a mixed reputation around here, but for a Fuji 650, it might be an OK option.

Another option might be an engine from a parted out machine, but intact and running engines seem to be rare.

found engine for sale

I saw a 750 engine for sale will that work in place on this 650 or is that a big deal to do?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

The 92 and 93 used a different cooling system set up. You can use a newer style 650,750, or 780 in your ski. You'll just have to re-route the cooling system, and swap some elec. componenets.

BUT, that ski uses an inferior jet pump. You may want to consider buying a different ski altogether. You can get a bigger, newer running ski for nearly the same amount of $$ you're looking to be paying out. Just a thought.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    A 650 engine and pump may be available right now in the Gen. section. Guy says he has a ski that hit a dock and wants to sell. Maybe that'll help ya!! Rod.

So what's the deal with the jet pump. As far as I know I never had problems with that?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow 1992-1993 non-modular 146mm Polaris jet pump vs modular 148mm jet pump (1994 onwards)

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    ...that ski uses an inferior jet pump...
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmgrant View Post
    So what's the deal with the jet pump.
    As far as I know I never had problems with that?
    The 1992-1993 non-modular 146mm Polaris jet pump works OK as it is.

The modular (1994 onwards) 148mm jet pump is a better, more efficient design. It produces more thrust from the same engine power. There are more upgrade options for the 148mm pump.

1992 was the very first model year for Polaris PWC (the SL 650 was the only model). By 1994, they had improved and upgraded a number of important parts, including the engine and jet pump, and expanded the model range.

You can review the entire Polaris PWC model history here.

I'm with xlint on this one. It'd either be best to buy a used motor or just part the ski out and buy a different one. I bet it'd be $1000 or more for a motor from sbt by the time you get it. You can buy a 750, maybe even a 780 for that if you come across a good deal. BTW I don't like SBT, never had a polaris motor from them, but had a sea doo 951....not good. Maybe if you got better pistons than what they use ya'd be alright.

I saw a 750 for sale but what all is involved in switching them out?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tsmgrant View Post
    I have a 92 Polaris SL-650 and the piston rod is broke, piston looks bad too. I figure I'd exchange for a rebuilt. Any suggestions? Also mine has the tubes coming out the bottom and some don't ,,, what's the deal there?
    Unless the hull is in immaculate shape do not throw good money at a bad machine,those early polaris engines were horrible in 92/93 they seized had numerous other problems,just take the money you have or would spend on getting it running,at least 1200+ unless you found very cheap good used parts and buy a newer 780-785-or 1050 carbed model.My customer found a 97 sltx 1050 for 500.00 needing only fuel lines,carbs cleaned from sitting,and a cdi unit.for less than 1,000 total he has a clean ,fast ,low hr 45 when he bought it ski.where you could easily spend that on an 92sl650 and only have a 45mph ski that you would be unable to sell even if it was running right.JMHO>Marvin please dont get mad at my advice .I am trying to keep you from making an expensive mistake

Thread Information