Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 95 SLT750 Cylinder/Piston Help

Last summer my roomate pushed my newly running 95 SLT750 too hard and blew a hole in a piston (running lean). Anyone know how hard it is to replace the piston and what gaskets I would need? I so far have a new honed cylinder, rings, piston, wrist bearing, cylinder head, cylinder gasket, head gasket, 3 water bar gaskets (top of cylinder head). Will I need to take off the intake and exhaust manifolds and replace those gaskets as well?

Also, once fixed, is it possible to just richen the carbs and put colder plugs in to solve the lean problem which caused this int he first place?

Thanks in advance for the help

Sean

fix the problem

I'm guessing it's the mag (front) piston that's blown. In this case, you will need to address your problem of running lean. These skis are known for being fuel-starved to the mag cylinder due to an undersized fuel pump. The best and easiest solution to this, especially since you will have the engine somewhat torn apart is installing a mikuni 3-outlet fuel pump. Search around on here and find out where people get 'em... there are tons of places (I used parkeryamaha.com), and it's a fairly easy installation. You also will probably want to replace your fuel lines (at least everything after the pump - on the carburetor side). This should fix your fuel problem. When you get it all reassembled, check the piston wash to ensure that you don't have the same problem again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the carburetors have not been rebuilt, now is the time to do so. Dirty/gummed up carbs will still hole a piston, even with an upgraded fuel pump.

And replace all the fuel lines, even those inside the fuel tank. If the fuel lines leak air into the fuel stream, it tends to reduce fuel deliver to the carbs, and hole a piston.

Also clean and check the fuel selector valve. They can be rebuilt with a new o-ring, or replaced with a new Sea-Doo valve.

All the fuel lines before the fuel pump are under suction, and must not leak air into the fuel.

Replace the short pulse hose between fuel pump and crank case with a good quality, reinforced hose.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

The on line manual listed in the tech section will walk you through the procedure.

You will need to remove the exhaust manifold, so you'll need an exhaust manifold, and pipe gasket also.

Not a bad idea to get a triple outlet fuel pump, replace the fuel hoses, clean/inspect the petcock, and clean.rebuild the carbs. Any one of these could cause your holed piston.

Quote Originally Posted by jpontius View Post
    I'm guessing it's the mag (front) piston that's blown. In this case, you will need to address your problem of running lean. These skis are known for being fuel-starved to the mag cylinder due to an undersized fuel pump. The best and easiest solution to this, especially since you will have the engine somewhat torn apart is installing a mikuni 3-outlet fuel pump. Search around on here and find out where people get 'em... there are tons of places (I used parkeryamaha.com), and it's a fairly easy installation. You also will probably want to replace your fuel lines (at least everything after the pump - on the carburetor side). This should fix your fuel problem. When you get it all reassembled, check the piston wash to ensure that you don't have the same problem again.
    What diameter fuel line is it, I know I could simply measure it, but just wondering if the Mikuni fuel pump is larger, is it 1/4 inside diameter? Also is there only one type of 3 outlet Mikuni pump, I found a 35 liter per hour on ebay for 25 bucks, sounds reasonable..

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    1/4" is all you need. I think john zigler sells the pumps for the same amount + shipping.

John Zigler
    Rock County Jet Ski
    608-743-1305 m-f CST
    please email; [email protected]

+1
    Make sure it's a NEW pump. Guys are trying to sell used ones for more than a new one.

Does John Zigler have a store front website or is he just a member i contact? Sorry, new here

+1
    He does have some website that he just created, but you can reach him by Email at [email protected]. He also has a ph #, but I can't remember it right now.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanace1 View Post
    Does John Zigler have a store front website...
    www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information