Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rolled a MSX 150

My wife's sister is visiting this week and we all went out to the lake with the two MSX 150s. Somehow while my wife and sis in law were idling in a circle talking to me they rolled the ski. While they were laughing I quickly jumped off and rolled it back over (using the sticker and directions on the back to ensure I rolled it the right way). It started right back up again and I rode it slowly at first and then up to about 35 but no faster into the ramp and put it on the trailer. I drained a few gallons of water from the hull and when I pulled the seat off I noticed some oil on the bottom of the seat and around the oil case. It sounds fine and runs fine but since I haven't had it up to max speed and stuff I wanted to check in and see if there is anythin i shoudl watch for. It's fresh water and after getting all the water out I've left the seat off for the remainder to evaporate. Would appreciate advise from thos eof you that have experience with a rolled 4 stroke. I know with my two stroke it was a non issue but I believe these things do NOT like to go 180.
    Thanks

+1
    I have no experience wth the MSX 4 stroke ,other than reading the service manual.Hope fully the guys that do have experience will give you some answers.

The Weber engine is a dry sump set-up,unlike the wet sump in a car.If you roll a car over, all the oil from the oil pan (sump) flows on to the pistons and cylinders,where it can leak past the rings into the cylinders ( if left upside down for a while) and cause a hydrolock.
    I'm sure Polaris chose the dry sump design because they know their watercraft will get rolled over. If you rolled it back over quickly,and it did not have any trouble turning over,cranking the engine,I think the engine is fine.
    Take a look to see where the oil spill came from,probably the oil tank cap.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have a look in the 2004 MSX 150 Service Manual.

Page 2.25 talks about the drain plugs allowing water out after a roll-over.

There are roll-over valves for the oil tank, and the turbocharger (page 4.6)

Page 4.65 also mentions roll-over protection features.

Thanks all. I did everything right and it was running fine yesterday on the trip back into the ramp. I'l get it out again this weekend just to ensure it's fine. I read some thread about the oil possibly messing up sensors if it was capsized. Thanks again

+1
    Well it had to happen, my MSX went belly up as well yesterday. I was out jumping some waves with the boys (picture the perfect storm) anyway I am no expert and was on full throttle hard turn to the right but missed the bugger.

Managed to turn it back up(easier than i thought) but could not get it back through the surf- it would not start- and i was being bashed about by (picture the perfect storm again) the waves.

I received help from another ski and was towed through the waves to some calmer water. This was quite an experience in it self hanging of the back to keep the nose up.

Well after many attempts it finally started, there was next to no water in the hull even though it was upside down for about 4 minutes.

The ski ran erratically sometimes getting max RPM 7400 but settled down to a 5600RPM max with no warnings. I suspected oil at this stage. must have been because it rolled at full power the breather did not shut off in time.

On checking the sensors back home it is confirmed that I managed to get a dose of water and oil in the intake system, a lovely creamy mix. I have pulled the sensors and inter cooler and flushed out the intake manifold along with everything else.

The intake I have in this was dry and did not ingest any water. I surmise the water made its way from the muffler through he turbo in to the cylinders back all the way to the inter cooler! as this is were it starts turning creamy. The turbo is just plain oily. Is this what normally happens or was it because of the rough conditions i was in?

Cheers
    Last edited by Kosh; 06-01-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: lightning - needed to save what i had written

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    ...I surmise the water made its way from the muffler through he turbo in to the cylinders back all the way to the inter cooler! as this is were it starts turning creamy. The turbo is just plain oily...
    I am confused - which side of the turbo has the creamy oil+water?

The turbo air intake side, the turbo compressed air outlet side, or the turbo exhaust exit side?

I don't see how water from inside the exhaust system could get into the air intake tract

+1
    No water in the compressor just clean engine oil (from breather pipe)
    water and oil in intercooler not mixed together. The Creamy mix starts at intercooleer exit and has turned into a lovely coating in the plenum chamber. All clean again after the injectors (due to fule washing).

My theory was and I am willing to modify it is that when overturned some water made its way back up the exhaust through the turbo exhaust housing into a cylinder and into the intake?

This may not have happened maybe water did make it into the intake (i have a tube with air filter attached (not the standard set up) This was dry when checked but admitedly had a hours running to dry it out.

Another possibility is ther is a small amount of water generated in the inter cooler as a product of cooling compressed air (normal operation) and this is what caused the oil to go milky. (this sounds like another great theory I think about it).

This will not happen again as i will ensure that there is an oil seperator in place!

Any other ideas?

Cheers

KRAP!!! Now it won't rev up...

Well, what I feared has happened. As I mentioned, the Mrs and sis in law rolled the ski a few weeks back. When it happened, I jumped off the ski i was on and rolled it back over. It started up OK and we took it into the ramp and took it home. Took it out today (first time back in) and it started fine, idled fine, ran up to 35 fine but it will not go over 5900 RPM and after riding it for awhile it idles rough throttling up and down. Since we had ridden it across the lake 20 minutes, we had to ride it back. It was hard to start after stopping for awhile. I read a post about sensors being covered in oil from being capsized. Can anyone shed light on this? Is it an easy fix to clean the sensors or is it a painful and costly trip to the Polaris dealer?

Appreciate any and all help. FYI, the manual of course makes no mention to any of this as a result of being capsized. All they say is that IF it was capsized for more than four minutes, it was over for less than a minute.

Hey guys, I'm reading all the "won't rev over" type posts and I am seeing a common theme. The common theme is that it won't rev due to stuck wastegate with salt water riders. That's not it. The other is oil contamination of a sensor due to being overfilled. I suspect that it what it is but no body says what to do to correct that problem. Since I am going to assume this is the problem, can it be cleaned? We have access to another MSX 150 to test out parts if we need to swap.

Any updates

Any updates on this, I had almost the exact same thing happen and my ski is acting just like yours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information