Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need a little help tuning 01 1200r

Well i did a bunch of stuff over the winter now need some help tuning . the mods i currently have are solas 12/18 was in there when i bought the ski . carbs are jetted with choke plates removed jet kit from island racing. Running flame arrestors and outerwears 1300 reed set with stuffers . island racing holeshot kit ,ppk 1200 grate level 3 island ride plate . 32 to 1 premix

I having 2 problems . first one i have my lows set at 1 turn out ski seems to load up at idle only anything off of idle throttle response is great . I wanted to get an opinion before i go turn them in a little .

The second problem is my rpms at wide open i think are to low for having the carbs done and that prop . Before i did the mods i was turning same prop at 7090rpm now iam turning the prop at 7050 to 7100 depending on how empty the tank but it wont go over that . When i tuned the highs i turned them in till i lost rpm and turned then turned them out till i lost some set them right in the middle right now they are at 1.75 turns . any help would be appriciated . Iam using a secondary tach to read rpms and getting the same reading every time

Moderated
    I am not sure on your first question but for the second problem you described is the throttle fully opening when you hold it wide open.....?

it can cost you major rpm....

+1
    That sounds like a pretty nice stocker setup and very similar to how I run my backup/jump ski.

A few things that I would change that I think will help you a lot:

-Lose the outerwears...you'll pick up your rpm's to spin that prop instantly.
    -run 40:1 instead of 32:1 with a good oil.

It almost sounds like your loading up feeling is oil related.

i double checked the throttle it is wide open .

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    That sounds like a pretty nice stocker setup and very similar to how I run my backup/jump ski.

A few things that I would change that I think will help you a lot:

-Lose the outerwears...you'll pick up your rpm's to spin that prop instantly.
    -run 40:1 instead of 32:1 with a good oil.

It almost sounds like your loading up feeling is oil related.
    Very well could be oil related. Right now I am running yamalube because i have it thats why right now I am 32:1. I want to switch to amsoil but hate I cant buy it locally . Do you run your jump ski with out arrestors or outerwears ? I havent been out to barnget inlet to try jumping yet dont know how much water could end up in the hull . What oil do you run ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyboy61 View Post
    Well i did a bunch of stuff over the winter now need some help tuning . the mods i currently have are solas 12/18 was in there when i bought the ski . carbs are jetted with choke plates removed jet kit from island racing. Running flame arrestors and outerwears 1300 reed set with stuffers . island racing holeshot kit ,ppk 1200 grate level 3 island ride plate . 32 to 1 premix

I having 2 problems . first one i have my lows set at 1 turn out ski seems to load up at idle only anything off of idle throttle response is great . I wanted to get an opinion before i go turn them in a little .

The second problem is my rpms at wide open i think are to low for having the carbs done and that prop . Before i did the mods i was turning same prop at 7090rpm now iam turning the prop at 7050 to 7100 depending on how empty the tank but it wont go over that . When i tuned the highs i turned them in till i lost rpm and turned then turned them out till i lost some set them right in the middle right now they are at 1.75 turns . any help would be appriciated . Iam using a secondary tach to read rpms and getting the same reading every time
    32:1 will make your fuel leaner.I personaly run 36:1,some run 40:1 depending on the oil used! Weather plays a big roll in your 2 stroke engine.I can see 60-120 rpm gain or loss from week to week.
    The ideal tuning of the carbs is in COLD weather with a FULL tank of fuel.This will put the MAX load on the engine.If you ride in waves all the time and use water socks, you can tune the carbs WITHOUT the water socks,full tank gas or close to it,reach your max rpm's then reinstall the socks.This will richen the fuel up when they are put back on. Watch the tach closely! It only takes a few seconds to lean out and stick one.
    Another trick i use for tuning is your primer. Always start rich on the fuel then come back in. Pump the primer a couple times to add more fuel when you are pulling the throttle on holeshot. I dont mean slam the throttle open either. You will know when there is too much fuel or not enough. I just did this on my triple piper this morning when i was dialing it in. It does give you some quick answers.

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    32:1 will make your fuel leaner.I personaly run 36:1,some run 40:1 depending on the oil used! Weather plays a big roll in your 2 stroke engine.I can see 60-120 rpm gain or loss from week to week.
    The ideal tuning of the carbs is in COLD weather with a FULL tank of fuel.This will put the MAX load on the engine.If you ride in waves all the time and use water socks, you can tune the carbs WITHOUT the water socks,full tank gas or close to it,reach your max rpm's then reinstall the socks.This will richen the fuel up when they are put back on. Watch the tach closely! It only takes a few seconds to lean out and stick one.
    Another trick i use for tuning is your primer. Always start rich on the fuel then come back in. Pump the primer a couple times to add more fuel when you are pulling the throttle on holeshot. I dont mean slam the throttle open either. You will know when there is too much fuel or not enough. I just did this on my triple piper this morning when i was dialing it in. It does give you some quick answers.

what rpm do you think i should be pulling with my current setup ? this is an sbt motor heard they wont pull as much rpm is that true ? I figure with all the work I did I would have gotten better results . I do believe iam a little rich at idle I will try that primer trick to know for sure, before i pull the stinger to lean it out a bit on the lows . I am trying to get the rpms up a bit before I get another prop was hoping to be able to pull a nujet 6.5 repitched by island racing to get me close to 70 mph . only other mod i was considering is raising the compression . thanks for the help

+1
    I don't run outerwears. I think they are a joke at keeping any water out.... They will rob about 100 rpm's too depending on your setup.
    Many of the EFI guys I ride with even ride with open throttle bodies...no flame arrestor or outerwears at all. This includes jumping in the inlet.

I run Amsoil Interceptor 40:1 in my jump ski which is a similar setup to what you have now. I've run yamalube too which I think is fine.
    I do run 36:1 in my 1390 with Amsoil Dominator.

pull the outerwears and get some of that extra oil out of your mix and retune your carbs like Woody is saying.

Your looking for about 7150rpm's and an sbt motor should have no issues pulling that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I don't run outerwears. I think they are a joke at keeping any water out.... They will rob about 100 rpm's too depending on your setup.
    Many of the EFI guys I ride with even ride with open throttle bodies...no flame arrestor or outerwears at all. This includes jumping in the inlet.

I run Amsoil Interceptor 40:1 in my jump ski which is a similar setup to what you have now. I've run yamalube too which I think is fine.
    I do run 36:1 in my 1390 with Amsoil Dominator.

pull the outerwears and get some of that extra oil out of your mix and retune your carbs like Woody is saying.

Your looking for about 7150rpm's and an sbt motor should have no issues pulling that.

thanks for help i will try a few of things you guys suggested and see if i get better results . any special way you adjust the power valves or do you just go by the book thats the only other thing i can think of. i did adjust them according to the book . what prop are you running on your ski with the similar setup ?

Moderated
    do a search for power valves using the advanced search tool, you will find what you need.

ps: the power valves need to fully open at the correct time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information