Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Help, '04 RXP seized

Hi, I could really do with some advice on my broken '04 RXP.

I was out today on the ocean (I live in England) and the engine just stopped, I tried to restart it but it just wouldn't turn. It'd been used for about an hour before the problem and the sea was pretty rough so very little WOT work.

I thought at first it might be a battery problem but I've now got it home and charged the battery, all I get is a click when I try to start it. It just doesnt turn at all.

I took the plugs out to see if I could see any debris on them, the plug nearest the back of the boat was in pretty tight and I can't seem to get it out (it's undone but I cant seem to get it out, might be my old spark plug socket). The other 2 came out and they both looked like they'd be running very hot (a light colour rather than the normal dark brown). I also noticed that the coolant bottle was empty (I know it was full a the end of the last ride). I have tried filling the water bottle but it doesn't seem to be holding the water. I checked the oil and it's showing on the stick, clean and not cloudy.

I had the SC washers replaced to metal ones (plus the shaft changed) only about 10 hours ago, this was done by my local dealer. The cermaic ones hadn't failed. The ski has been used about 4 times since the SC washer change.

The ski is slightly modified with a Riva bypass valve, inlet filter and exhaust baffles removed plus R&D intake grate and Riva sponsons. It's done 130 hours in total.

Any guidance on what might be the problem might be is appreciated, I'm assuming it's an engine problem (I will check the jet pump but as the coolant bottle is empty I assume it's not a jet pump problem). What might cause the coolant to come out? I also didnt get any overheat warning (the alarm does work).

Thanks

welcome to the club of blown 4tecs, i just bought mine with 150 hours and 5 hours later shot the bendix through the side. after fresh rebuilt sc, and fresh oil change. first time i opened it up. this makes 2 out of 3 seadoo engines i blow up. and i baby my ski's, i do all maintenance like i should. so why do they do this. ive never heard of any brand pwc having such a high failure rate. then again they were both used pwcs so may have had an abused one.

I would check the supercharger.... the waves cause a lot of torque and you could of broke the cramic washers that they no no longer use on newer models. Now replaced with metal washers. once those break and go into the engine, I think the needle bearings can go it too.
    I have a very similar issue with my 04 rxp, just had the engine rebuilt and less than 3 hours after something is amiss....

Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    welcome to the club of blown 4tecs, i just bought mine with 150 hours and 5 hours later shot the bendix through the side. after fresh rebuilt sc, and fresh oil change. first time i opened it up. this makes 2 out of 3 seadoo engines i blow up. and i baby my ski's, i do all maintenance like i should. so why do they do this. ive never heard of any brand pwc having such a high failure rate. then again they were both used pwcs so may have had an abused one.
    Hey, I'm in that club too!! I'm on my third rebuild, first one blew up at 10 hours, second at 6 hours. During installation on first, had oil pump replaced, titanium washers installed in supercharger, and SC blow off valve installed (just to be sure I didn't trash an engine, big joke). I took it real easy with these engines too!!

Either these engines are timebombs or the rebuilds are garbage!!

+1
    I'd bet it dropped a valve in the cylinder with the stuck plug. The plug is probably stuck because it's damaged by valve pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I'd bet it dropped a valve in the cylinder with the stuck plug. The plug is probably stuck because it's damaged by valve pieces.
    Yep, I'm with you. My "first" blown engine dropped valve in #1, engine locked, plug was real tough to get out. When I did get it out, electrodes smashed to pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post

+1, broken valve hit head near or on plug.

+1
    And it's an '04, known to have valves that break

I agree. Had the same problem. Was a dropped valve. $2000 of parts later it is running like a champ.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    And it is usually the rear cylinder... at least all three of mine where.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information