Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 12V LOW

12V LOW

So the past 2 times I have had the ski out it has ran great for about an hour and then I begin getting the annoying Single beep and the battery indicator flashes and reads 12V Low, After awhile I get PO652, which is the electrical system. I posted about 3 weeks ago on this same problem and thought it was the battery, so I replaced that and continued with a new battery, same thing. So What would be my next place to look for a problem. I am thinking it is not chargin while running anymore and wiht all the stopping and starting, the starter is just draining the battery. So what would be next???
    -david

I would check the battery voltage with the engine off. It should be at least +12.5 VDC. Then start the engine; the voltage should be at least +13.5 VDC. If it's not, the charging system is not working... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by flyguytki View Post
    So the past 2 times I have had the ski out it has ran great for about an hour and then I begin getting the annoying Single beep and the battery indicator flashes and reads 12V Low, After awhile I get PO652, which is the electrical system. I posted about 3 weeks ago on this same problem and thought it was the battery, so I replaced that and continued with a new battery, same thing. So What would be my next place to look for a problem. I am thinking it is not chargin while running anymore and wiht all the stopping and starting, the starter is just draining the battery. So what would be next???
    -david
    The rectifier (voltage regulator) sounds bad. I had same problem, had to replace the rectifier. It's attached to the intake airbox up front. If you want to test it put a volt meter across the battery terminals with ski running, it should read 13.5-13.8 at idle, if it dosen't then it's most probably the regulator.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    The rectifier (voltage regulator) sounds bad. I had same problem, had to replace the rectifier. It's attached to the intake airbox up front. If you want to test it put a volt meter across the battery terminals with ski running, it should read 13.5-13.8 at idle, if it dosen't then it's most probably the regulator.
    +1. This is a pretty common issue and an easy fix if it is your problem.

+1
    It could be as simple as a bad, or corroded fuse in the MPEM.

I've had a fuse get corroded more than once, and that was all it ended up being. I would look there first, then to the batt

Yeeeeeap, I seen this before as well. It turned out to be a fuse holder problem.

Where the fuse plugs into the connector, the actual fixed part of the connector was twisted/crooked, and not making a good connection in the fuse box in the MPEM.

I remember it was a red fuse too.

I actually could see the mark where arcing had blackened the fuse itself.

This is not a first either, have seen this on a few other skis too.

I had this feeling it was the regulator/rectifier or the alternator to be at fault.... lady luck smiled upon me that day..!!

Have a GOOD look at the fuses and the metal contacts they slide between. If you notice one twisted/mis-shaped, have a look on the fuse, and you will see a small blackened pitting mark... thats the cause.

It drove me nuts one day, and the battery charge was getting low... causing a mis-fire for me.

Just this is the first one to look into, as it is not an expensive to fix problem either, just straight-forward look and fix-up.

Rule #1... look for the cheap fixes first..!!

All fuses looked good, any other cheap fix ideas before I throw down for a Voltage Regulator in hopes that is the problem??
    -david

Post #3 tells you the test to confirm if the regulators is good/bad.

I've posted on this before and didn't get much help, this thread is proving good. I will be checking the fuses as my Low Voltage warning is intermittent.

+1
    Another easy, fairly quick test is, find a buddy, or anyone with your year rxp,or T and just borrow a known good one to do a quick swap out test, before you spend the money for a new one.

I have to wait for the battery to charge a bit before i can even get it to turn over. Im talking the battery is DEAD!!! however, it will charge full and hold a charge for over a week so i know its not the battery.

-david

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information