Be a Hero...Punch a Koala Kaotic's Avatar

A few Problems Low RPMS & Starting on it's own

Today while i was riding i had a few problems. After riding for about 30 minutes the ski would shut off. It would keep doing it and every once in a while it would run fine for a quite a bit.

When you turned off the ski with the button but left the lanyard in it would try and start on it's own like crank over for a split second but not start.

Then all of the sudden it wouldn't start at all. I had the lanyard in and it beeped twice, but it's like the start button wasn't working.

After sitting for about 20 minutes with the storage bin out and the hood up, and the lanyard in. It fired up on it's own *WITH OUT ME PUSHING THE BUTTON* and i ran it back to the trailer.

SOOOO to me it sounded like i had some water in the electrical problems. So i unplugged the 2 connectors coming out of the handlebars and I noticed some water in the plugs. I took some QD Electrical Cleaner and sprayed it down and it fired right up. I'm going to wrap some Weatherproof cold shrink insulation down the wires and seal the connections.

Does this sound right?

now to the next problem

earlier this year (march/april) i was running 8100-8180 rpms and 77-78mph consistently. 65*-75* air temp 48*-55* water temp.

Now i'm turning 7800-7940 RPMS MAX. I ordered the prop tool from Jerry and I'm gonna take off a few mm's on the trailing edge.

As it sits now it's a 15/22 with 1mm added to the trailing edge.

Mods are Riva Intake, Riva Manifold upgrade, Riva Free Flow exhaust, R&D Grate, Reverse Bucket mod, Filled ride plate, and Solas 15/22.

TTT

The Koala's Ghost is trying to get back at ya....I think it had enough beatings

ok figured out the electrical/starting problem. That water that got into the plugs was it. I dried it out and wrapped it in cold shrink to seal it up...good to go.

Now about the RPM problems. Is 300rpm common as the water temp rises?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer 1 View Post
    The Koala's Ghost is trying to get back at ya..
    took the words right outta my mouth

+1
    If you check everything else like a boost leak and SC clutch slip and RPMs are still down then its gotta be the heat and water temps. As it warms up im slowing down to
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic View Post
    ok figured out the electrical/starting problem. That water that got into the plugs was it. I dried it out and wrapped it in cold shrink to seal it up...good to go.

Now about the RPM problems. Is 300rpm common as the water temp rises?

Quote Originally Posted by GOLD06RXP View Post
    If you check everything else like a boost leak and SC clutch slip and RPMs are still down then its gotta be the heat and water temps. As it warms up im slowing down to
    I have a spare boost gauge leftover from my car...i'll pop out a mirror and fab up a mounting bracket this week and check my boost level.
    Didn't think of that thanks!

+1
    I have mine installed in the mirror to. Looks and works great there. Ive lost about 1 PSI since the cool weather. I have a cold weather prop and a warm weather prop to help with temps. Cool weather is 12/23 and warm is 12 21.5. That way you can have great flexibilty with an adjustable nozzle and two props.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic View Post
    I have a spare boost gauge leftover from my car...i'll pop out a mirror and fab up a mounting bracket this week and check my boost level.
    Didn't think of that thanks!

Thread Information