01 GPR cutting out at speed

Hello,

I've got an 01 GP1200R that is cutting out at speed. I'm going across the lake at close to top speed and it just quiets on me. If I let off the gas and back on it will pick back up for a bit and then do it again and again. It only seems to happen when I've got less than 1/2 a tank. It also usually happens in rough water. I've been looking around and the trap door on my fuel pick up looks like it might be a culprit. The ski has a new motor in with only about 10 hours on the carb rebuild. I've got a stinger on it as well.

I'm going to remove the fuel pick up since it sounds like it should be done anyway. Is it obvious if they are warped or defective? Is there anything else I should look at?

Thanks for the help!
    Tyler

+1
    in the how to section we have a ton of info stickied so it is at the top of the sub forum. Here is one for you http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39216

going clunking...

Since I'm in there I guess I should go ahead with the clunks as well. I'll check my local shop first but if they don't have any is jetskisolutions the best option online?

Thanks!

+1
    have you done a compression test since this started happening?
    Probably be a good idea to verify your compression to make sure it's not seizing...
    Doug

+1
    wooops...never mind me... I read it as quiting on you as shutting down...not just bogging down on you.
    Ignore me...

+1
    i had very similar problem and my crank let go. Clunking is not good. Check your compression before u take it out or run it again to avoid more damage.

+1
    maybe i didnt understand you either. I just reread and saw your engine has only 10 hours and the problem only happens some of the time

Kid In A Adult Body sandman7793's Avatar
    Going trough the same problem on 01 xl 1200 but i think i found it first thing i found was that the exhaust came loose in the back then that was not it took it back out wavin one more time and used up over a gallon of 2 stroke oil from the injection system in one tank of fuel so now getting a block off plate and going to try it again will let you know

Update

I pulled out the fuel lines and I do have a warped flapper. It looks just like the picts in the thread O'side referenced. I did go ahead and add the fuel clunks while it was apart. My local shop had them in stock and I had some extra fuel line laying around. I'm hopeful that this was my issue.

O'side you said that you run dual lines to the carbs on your skis. Do you run on line to carb #1 and #3 and the other to carb #2. I've extended both the main and reserve line so that I can bypass the fuel selector at a later time if needed.

Thanks guys!
    Tyler

Update part 2

I was able to get out for a bit yesterday. Ran great. I only had one time on a hard turn did it starve for fuel. I was on two bars at the time as well. Now it's time to work on the wife's ski.

Thread Information