What Octane is best?

Hi all, I've been lurking in this forum for about three months. You all convinced me that a GPR was the way to go. I picked up my new 06 GPR last Saturday, took it to our lake cabin and rode it for 5 days. It's an awesome machine. The dealer told me to use only regular unleaded but did not tell me the best octane. Here in Montana our regular is 85 and I thought I read in on a post that 88 might be optimal. The dealer told me the higher octane (93) would not be good for my GPR. Any advice would be appreciated... Also, is it normal for the speed to vary by 5 mph from day to day. I know the speedo is not acurate but it varied from 72 one day to only 65 the next...

Thanks in advance

+1
    Dont even look at the stock speedo! If you have 87 octane,run it.Congrats on the 06'.

+1
    Did you buy it from Dan Daley in Great Falls?

I bought my 2000 from him. Good man, good price 500 off retail. Whats premium, 90 octane?

Your not going to hurt it if you run premium. Your elevation is pretty close to woody's. He can probably help you out with secrets for higher elevations. Do you ever ride the Missouri between Cascade and Wolf Creek? Beautiful scenery.

+1
    Welcome to the Forum PDFWHF

+1
    Welcome PDFWHF.

Congrats on the new machine.

I did buy from Daley in GF. I haven't been on the river since I leave it at Holter. There are a lot of RXP's on the lake and they were all checking me over the holiday. SPUD, what were you doing in GF?????

+1
    I spent a good bit of my younger years growing up in Vaughn. Graduated in 78 from Simms. I joined the Riva board in about July of 2000. I went to Montana and bought the GPR over Thanksgiving break. Dealers in California suck. They routinely add $1500 to the msrp. They call it dealer setup. Dan said that was all bullshit. I was talking with him on the phone in about August making the deal. All went smooth and I was out the door for $7500. In San Diego you were not leaving a dealership for anything under 10K.

Have you locked horns with any of the RXP's? How much did Dan charge you for the 2006?

Welcome to the board.

I called all over MT this spring and there were no 06's available except in Lewistown. Nobody planned on getting any either. I called back to Lewistown in early June and they had just sold theirs so I thought I was screwed. I went to Sports City (Daley) and they ordered me one. I took awhile to get here. I picked it up for $8900. I see others on the board who have been able to snag one for $8100. They threw in a cover and some other extras so I figured buying local was the best plan.

Haven't gotten after it with any RXP's yet but they are waiting for me. There are a couple of kids with RXT's too who think they got it going on. I probably need to do a few minor mods to beat these stock RXP's but I need to come up with a plan.

I'm heading to the lake in a few hours and I heard there's lots of action this weekend. The weather's been awesome... I'll check back Sunday night.

Thread Information