Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Interesting Numbers = Ride Plate Temps (w/Heat Exchanger)

End of season last year I was able to fab up some inline temp sensors to see what the coolant temp was before/after the OEM ride plate. I wanted to see what the observed cooling efficiency of the OEM rideplate was, from idle to cruising to WOT. My goal was over the winter to create a heat exchnager unit to keep the 4TEC motors closed loop, mainly for the conversion guys...Unfortunately when I was ready to test, the weather said "NO!" ...

Fast forward to today, while out on the water, I was finally able to observe the exchange rate. Using 2 probes placed in line of the 2 coolant hoses going to/from the ride plate, below are the results I got...and I was SURPRISED...

Using my Rotax Racing 158 degree thermo, it was observed that the thermo DID open at 158 degrees...The numbers below will be listed as tempurature before the ride plate, and after the ride plate...or temp from motor and returning to motor...

Water temp observed at 71 degrees...Coolant is a 50/50 mix...Numbers not 100% accurate, but very close...Unable to get 8000+ rpm (over prop issue)...

RPM = out/return
    Idle = 158/130
    2000 = 158/131
    3000 = 158/136
    4000 = 159/138
    5000 = 160/143
    6000 = 161/145
    7000 = 163/148
    7500 = 164/152

Anywhere from a 15-25 degree exchange was noted, the lower enter temps resulted in a lower return temp, and speed was a factor...more speed, less exchange capability...

Upon dropping below 5000 rpm, temps would drop dramatically down to the upper 130's...Obviously the slower the speed the better the exchange.

Based on measurements, its wise to let the ski idle down before shutting it off directly after a WOT run...Prolonged WOT runs, especially on a OEM thermostat, would have you heating the motor up good, so idle to let it cool down...

I will leave these sensors attached for Mudbug, and will try to get some temp readings in the warmer waters...

Again, these are just simple observed numbers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1384.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	134259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1385.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	134260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1388.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	134261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1407.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	134262  

+1

Sweet Post

Yeah, I always let my RXP idle after a period of hard riding, figuring it would probably be better for cooling it down... The cool thing about your post is that now proves it's better to let your ski idle, rather than just shut it off. Pretty cool!

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Very interesting indeed. Danny, any way you could run the same test with NO thermo and a stock thermo? Also look forward to see the numbers with warmer water. I wish there was some way you could have logged oil temperature also. I'm thinking a small (smaller than an XS IC) liquid to liquid heat exchanger will yield the same numbers. As far as the idling after WOT I see no reason for it. Don't see where there would be any benefit in shutting the motor off at 158 versus 164 (only about a 3% tempurature difference) but that is why I am curious about the oil temp. Now if those numbers were 158 versus 185 then yeah, but... I really thought there would be a bigger gap in the numbers all the way around that's why I would like to see a stock thermo. Wondering if both numbers would go up proportionatly.

Ok, this is damn good research man.

So now am thinking similar. a heat exchanger that takes the usual incoming water for the zorst etc,, be plumbed into the coolant system too.

I wont go the open loop cooling either. To me its dangerous, and the engine temp will be all-over the place, so fuelling etc will be difficult for the processor to accurately meter.

This is such good reading, it seeds the mind.

Well done that man. Gimme more..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post
    I wont go the open loop cooling either. To me its dangerous, and the engine temp will be all-over the place ..

I beg to differ..I am running open loop.I have mine set to 180 degrees coming out of the head into the oil cooler..I have yet to see the temps go all over the place..Now when i idle they do go up to 200 maybe a tad over but that is still far from any danger zone..I can also use it as a tuning device if need be..I can cool the engine down to richen the fuel up or heat it up to lean it out..I am not obligated to one temp..If i want i can drop it down to Dannys numbers too..Is open loop for the novice rider??NO if you dont know what or how to utilize this system then i recomend staying away from it BUT it isnt as bad as most think...Remeber open loop is not some new developed invention..Its been in the boating/jetski world forever...

+1

Thumbs up

awesome info Danny, I love the detailed information you always provide on your equipment testing.

+1
    Great info Danny. I always wanted to do the same on IC tubing to compare air temps before and after IC at different rpms/speed ...

Banned User
    +1
    now that I got these temp probs, I can utilize them all over...it be nice to see what SC temps are before/after IC...but thats a LOT of work to test individual IC's and SC combo's...

hi people
    i´v ignipower so i can read some temps
    engine closed loop (rotax termo) at idle 159.8 at wot 163.4 readed at engine head
    open loop for oil cooler at idle 104 at wot 131 readed near the oil filter
    air intake at idle 80.6 at wot 105.8 (too much heat) i need to work on this item
    hope this contributes for your toughts
    thx
    Hugo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31052009407.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	621.0 KB 
ID:	134329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31052009408.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	549.2 KB 
ID:	134330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31052009409.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	743.9 KB 
ID:	134331  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    now that I got these temp probs, I can utilize them all over...it be nice to see what SC temps are before/after IC...but thats a LOT of work to test individual IC's and SC combo's...
    you'll prolly end up doing it anyway LOL

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information